stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

It’s Okay To Eat Something “Bad” For Breakfast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Simmons chapter.

I am an avid breakfast eater. I cannot- and will not- go through my day without starting it with breakfast.

Now, when I say I’m an avid breakfast eater, that doesn’t mean I go all out. I don’t have the time or energy in the morning to make eggs, toast, or oatmeal. I am a “grab and go” kind of girl. So, my breakfast of choice? A giant muffin and an iced coffee from the local coffee shop, Mike’s Donuts.

Before I found Mike’s, I used to grab a Kind bar or a Greek yogurt cup as I hurried out the door in the morning. The problem was, none of my quick, supposedly-healthy breakfast choices were filling enough to carry me through to lunch. I was making good food choices, but I was still hungry? Something didn’t add up.

The first time I picked up a muffin from Mike’s Donuts, I noticed immediately that I could get through most of the day on my chocolate chip muffin. Muffins are not healthy, I know, but they do keep me full through the day. So, in turn, I make better choices at lunch, instead of starving after my yogurt cup and grabbing pizza.

Everyone knows breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day. “Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, supper like a pauper.” I completely agree.

My breakfast might not be big, but I do treat myself to something unhealthy. Yes, having eggs and toast is definitely a healthier, better option for breakfast. Protein and whole grains are better for any body. But, for a full-time student like me, my muffin is as good as it gets.

It may be unhealthy, but the fat, sugar, and whatever else goes into it, keeps me from starving in my classes. I concentrate more, I’m not distracted by my hunger, and I can make informed choices at lunchtime because I’m not starving by that time of day.

As long as I commit to maintaining balance in my diet, I will continue to eat my muffin in the morning. I think it’s okay to treat myself, as long as I am trying to hit the necessary food groups for the rest of my day.

Now, I am not a doctor, and I am merely a college student who loves muffins. However, if something unhealthy is what is going to carry you through to lunch, I say you can go for it. I’m not saying you should have candy or cheesecake for breakfast, but a muffin or a donut in the morning isn’t going to kill you.

As long as whatever you choose functions as a hearty breakfast, make whatever choice is right for you.

A suburban girl turned city slicker who loves her friends, writing, and her Sephora Beauty Insider card.