Which ‘Friends’ Character Are You on Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

No matter how you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day, you can probably relate your romantic situation (or lack thereof) to one of the six characters on the hit show Friends. Which character do you think you’re most like this V-Day?

Source

1) You spend months searching for the perfect gift for that special someone. You have been in and out of nearly every store in Crossgates and have boxes pouring into the mailroom so that you have plenty of gift options to choose from.

February 14th rolls around and you are set to go. You’ve prepped a delicious dinner in your townhouse, decorated with red and pink accents, and set the mood with some candles (which you will totally get rid of before Thursday inspections). Everything is going smoothly, until your roommates come barging in, totally intent on throwing a “Galentine’s Day” girls-only party instead….

If this would totally happen to you, you are just like MONICA.

GIF Source

2) You are not a believer in most things “mainstream,” let alone America’s favorite “Hallmark holiday.” Nonetheless, you are always down to try something new with your significant other. Whether it’s a cooking class, a nature hike, or catching the latest Indie flick, you are sure to plan a simple, hipster Valentine’s Day your beau will love. But, of course, if you and your girlfriends are single this Valentine’s Day, you could always whip up a magical hex to cast on all the boys who broke your hearts this year…

If this sounds like you, you are PHOEBE.  

GIF Source

3) You have the tendency to forget most holidays, and Valentine’s Day is no exception. Once you realize the big day is a mere 24 hours away, panic sets in and you scramble to find some way to not be alone on the day of love. You don’t have the best track record when it comes to picking up someone of the opposite sex, but luckily your best friend is a smooth talker who is sure to land you both dates for the evening. That is, until your blind date turns out to be someone you awkwardly stopped contacting after a Tinder meet-up gone awry…

If you relate to this, you are CHANDLER.

GIF Source

4) You know you have a date set for Valentine’s Day, so you head to the mall to pick up something nice…for yourself, duh! You spend all day primping and pampering yourself for the big night. Your date shows up looking, um, less like their profile picture than you anticipated. No worries though, you look fabulous as always and that’s what matters.

The date is mediocre, but you are happy to at least have someone to Snapchat for all your loyal followers (and let’s be honest, you did it for the Instagram). Regardless of your self-centered ways, you have a heart of gold and politely turn him down at the end of the night…only to find out he’s a total F-boy and has a girlfriend! So, you’re totally okay with slamming the door right in his face.

If this sounds like a typical ‘you’ scenario, then you are totally RACHEL.

GIF Source

5) You have always struggled with all things related to love and intimacy (I mean, your last relationship ended when your long-time beau realized they were gay). That won’t stop you, though. You might be a little defeated but you are a helpless romantic, tried-and-true. You have had your eye on someone in your astronomy lecture and finally muster up the courage to ask them out to dinner. You think the conversation is going great! But, why do they keep giving you that funny look? Unfortunately for you, a piece of spinach from your dinner at Saga is stuck in your tooth. Looks like it’ll be another night of Netflix and chilling with your favorite stuffed animal, Marcel…

If this would totally happen to you, you are just like ROSS.

GIF Source

6) You have had so many matches on Tinder this semester that it’s hard to pick who would be best to treat to dinner this Valentine’s Day. Miraculously, you strike up a conversation with the cutie standing behind you on line at Casey’s and voila! You have a date! You agree to dine at a fancy new restaurant in Albany. Unfortunately, you find out upon arrival that it is a tapas restaurant, and those small-plate servings are not going to fulfill your nearly insatiable appetite. The date went swimmingly, but your grumbling stomach totally kills the mood of your goodnight kiss. Luckily, they are totally chill and the two of you swing by the McDonald’s drive-thru on the way back to campus.

If this sounds like you, you are JOEY.

GIF Source

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

Courtney Flood is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Psychology.