This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Beginning your freshman year of college and being at the bottom of the educational totem pole again can be quite the adjustment after a senior year of feeling on top of the world. Coming from a high school where different grades were quite segregated, little freshman me once viewed college seniors as worldly, untouchable adults who had their lives figured out and had attained a level of coolness I couldn’t even comprehend.

Image Source

Flash forward to my senior year and, yes, we can usually tell which huddles of lanyard-wearing students are freshmen and how they will carry themselves for the first few weeks of school. While we may have picked up a thing or two of wisdom throughout college that could have helped our younger selves, we are far from knowing it all – cue any senior’s paling face when you ask him or her about any post-grad plans.  

Below, we’ve compiled some thoughts – both serious and funny – from seniors about what they wish they knew about college as freshmen. Remember, we were all once as scared as new students are, but keeping this advice in mind can help make your first year of college amazing!

“My best advice is to be open to making friends with everyone – upperclassmen, students in your own grade, staff on campus…I did this, and because of this, I’m able to experience as much of campus as possible and it’s helped me be able to give better advice and tips to my freshmen as a SAINT!” – Dii Lieu, SAINT

“Take advantage of every opportunity that gets offered to you, whether it’s from friends or a professor. Freshman year offers the most possibilities and it’s important to know that!” – Megan Salavantis, HC Siena Campus Correspondent & Writing Center Tutor

“Sleeping with your hair in a bun is sooo much easier than curling!” – Katie Walczuk

“Don’t be afraid to do things on your own. Join clubs and intramural teams, and take classes no one wants to take but seem super cool to you. By being independent and following your interests, you’ll find your niche on campus and expose yourself – and only yourself – to all of the amazing people and experiences you’ll encounter along the way. As horrible as it sounds, in the end it comes down to being selfish and doing everything for yourself. Take advantage of that selfishness now because college is the only time when it’s socially acceptable to do so.” – Susana Garcia, HC Siena Campus Correspondent, SAINT, & Writing Center Tutor 

Every freshmen is ultimately in the same boat as you, so take a deep breath and be yourself. Three years from now, when you’re finally a senior, you’ll definitely see where you went wrong in certain aspects, but that’s the beauty of college – making some mistakes along the way, but knowing that you’re becoming a better person while doing it.

Title Image Source

Kristen Perrone is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.