What I Learned My First Month of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

The past month or so of college has been a whirl-wind of emotions. I was excited for a new beginning, nervous for classes, and confused because I was far away from home with a bunch of strangers…and I was somehow supposed to be okay with it. However, I have learned a lot over the past month of school about what college is.

Shower shoes can make or break you.

Because let’s be real, no matter how good of a job maintenance does, I’m still always a little bit skeptical.

A small act of kindness can go a long way.

Holding the door open for someone or smiling at stranger has brightened up my day within the past month of being here, and I try to do the same to pass it on.

My high school resume is in the past. It’s time to make a new one.

Graduation is over. College is here. Our high school lives are in the past, and our high school GPAs and AP scores are not really relevant anymore.

Time management is key, and balancing fun and schoolwork is not easy.

I have learned to appreciate calendars and planners recently. I used to think I could remember every event and assignment, but my first zero on a homework showed me otherwise.

Getting involved on campus makes the transition SO much easier.

I signed up for far too many clubs at the club fair, and I have remained heavily involved with a few. It has been the best way to meet friends and get acquainted in the college community.

The people from orientation might not be your best friends.

I have also learned that this is okay. We were all thrown into a new world with new faces. We were all terrified at first and wanted to be everyone’s friend.

Be a student first, then a friend. Don’t forget to have some fun, too.

We are paying thousands of dollars for our education, and our social lives cannot become so involved that our GPAs are tanking. However, stress relief and a pizza night with the girls is also a necessity.

Don’t be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone.

Try new things! Join the choir, try taking a new language!

Always always always bring your key everywhere.

Nothing more awkward than waiting for the arrival of your roommate because yours is locked in the room.

My first month has been an adventure, and if this first month is an indicator of what the next four years hold, I am super excited for this journey.

Oh, and this triangle is now more relevant than ever…