alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reasons To Do Community Service: My Experience at MLK Service Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

A few weeks ago, I was very fortunate to be a part of Siena’s MLK Day of Service.

Image Source

My service group was assigned Parsons in Albany as our service site. Parsons is a school for children with mental health issues or that have faced traumatic experiences, so they are unable to go to a traditional school. Going into this experience, I didn’t know what to expect, but it turned out to be really great. The students at the school were extremely kind, funny and happy despite all that has happened to them at such early ages. I really enjoyed spending the afternoon playing basketball with the students and hope to go back to Parsons soon. Here are some takeaway points I recognized from serving the community:

It opens your eyes!

This opportunity allowed me to become more aware of the struggles of other individuals in the community.

It is heartwarming!

Seeing the kids faces when they would make a basketball shot was priceless.

You’ll learn something!

One little boy taught me a new basketball move and I’ll never forget it.

You make a difference!

I know by having a group of college kids spend their day with these kids, it really made them feel special.

It feels good!

Overall knowing that you are supporting other members of your community feels amazing!

Thumbnail Image Source

Samantha Cooke is a Siena College Class of 2021 alumna. She studied English Education during her time at Siena.