jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

#NewYearNewYou, Start Loving Yourself This New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

What person reading this can genuinely say they love everything about themselves? Sometimes we have so much love and effort to give others, but the hardest thing in the world to do is practice self-love. It’s taken me many years, but I’ve learned how to love myself, flaws, quirks and all, and I hope this can help someone do the same. To the person reading this, I have this to say: you are beautiful, inside and out. In fact, you are amazing, unique and have something that only you can contribute to the world. The question is: how do you recognize your individuality and learn how to be confident in it? Here are a few steps that may bring you closer to self-love this year: #NewYearNewYou

1. Accept yourself for who you are.

Realize everyone has things they love about themselves as well as things they would want to change. You are not alone.

Image Source

2. Nourish your mind, body and soul.

Love your body through exercise you enjoy. Not only will it bring you more in touch with yourself, you will feel more confident and become stronger, as a result. Nourish your soul through yoga, meditation or journaling. You can go to an on-campus yoga class or find guided meditations or yoga classes online. You could journal stories, your thoughts or things you are grateful for every day.

Image Source

3. Be confident. 

This sounds like the simplest advice, but can be very hard in practice. If someone doesn’t like you, remind yourself that it does not mean that you are weird, or that there is something wrong. That person probably has their own insecurities and problems, or it may be that you two just aren’t compatible as friends. Have an opinion and be proud of it. Do what you want and don’t care too much about what other people think of you. This is YOUR year to be truly you!

Image Source

4. Surround yourself with people that will lift you up.

We all have people in our life that drain us, and we have other people that lift us up and make us feel alive. My motto is to recognize people in your life that make you feel like your best self, and have a positive mindset. Put your energy into these people, and you will feel amazing in return. When you surround yourself with like-minded people not only does it help you be yourself, it helps you become who you want to be.

Image Source 

5. Create self-love rituals.

Practice meditation, yoga, take a bubble bath or read a good book. Do what you love and what loves you back. FINALLY, make it a priority to schedule that self-love ritual time in your life. We seem to put every to-do list and event on our calendar, but often neglect the importance of spending time doing things for ourselves.

Image Source

Thumbnail Image Source

Tara Campbell is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied Health Studies/Health Sciences during her time at Siena.