Long-Distance Relationships in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Dating is already so hard, it is even worse when you are in a relationship with a person who is not at school with you.  Not being able to see your significant other every day is difficult to deal with, especially when seeing other couples walking around holding hands.

For me, when I met my boyfriend he was already out of college and was getting himself an apartment in a few months. So, from the beginning, our relationship has always been a long-distance relationship for us. There have been several ups and downs for us, but we have managed to get through them all.

A few tips that I learned along the way as to how to maintain a healthy long-distance relationship are:

1. Communication

Being able to communicate with your partner is always a key component to any relationship, but it is more important in keeping a long-distance relationship.

2. Making time for each other

Whether this is seeing your significant other every so often or just devoting some time to FaceTime each other, it is important to make time to be there for each other.  This may not always be in person, but you must be able to know that your partner will be there for you always.

3. Be open and honest

Usually, the best person to talk to about how sucky long-distance relationships are is with your significant other. This way you can talk about if there are any issues and ways that you can go about solving them. Being able to talk to them about anything and everything is key in any relationship.

4. Do not hover over them

Just remember that you both also have separate lives so if they are going out with friends one night, do not bother them to know everything they are doing. If you would not want them to do it to you, then do not do it to them.  

5. Trust

As with getting any relationship to work, you have to be able to trust your significant other because if there is no trust, do not expect the relationship to last very long.

I hope this helped anyone who is struggling with any relationship!

Thumbnail Image Source

Melanie Moran is a Siena College Class of 2019 alumna. She studied Accounting during her time at Siena.