Kiera Mitru ’21 – Her Campus Siena Staff Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever wonder who the wonderful ladies are behind the Her Campus Siena articles? This year you’ll find out! Check back in every now and then for our profiles of each member of the amazing Her Campus Siena team. 

Name: Kiera Mitru

Class/year: Freshman/2021

Her Campus Siena: What is your major/minor/certificate?

Kiera Mitru: English major with a double minor in journalism and educational studies

HCS: Why did you choose your major?

KM: I have a passion for storytelling, an English degree is one of the most versatile, and I aspire to be a journalist!

HCS: Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus Siena?

KM: I wanted to improve my writing skills, while also having an outlet to share my ideas and a way to network at Siena and also journalism itself. 

HCS: What is your favorite part of working with Her Campus Siena?

KM: My favorite part of working with Her Campus Siena is the rush of ideas and excitement that comes right after you get your article assignment for the week.

HCS: What are you involved with on campus?

KM: I am involved in the Mentoring Program, Pathfinders, The Promethean, Her Campus Siena, the Franciscan Center for Service and Advocacy, and have been hired as an RA in Plassmann Hall for the 2018-2019 school year!

HCS: What is your favorite thing about Siena?

KM: My favorite thing about Siena, besides the peanut butter in the dining hall, is the abundance of opportunity that exists for every student. Even as a freshman I have been able to write for the school paper, participate in service days and a service trip to Nicaragua! Of course, none of this would be possible without the support from my professors and mentors on campus. My favorite activity on campus is working alongside the students in the Mentoring Program, and forming meaningful relationships with students I would not have known otherwise! 

HCS: What would your memoir be called and why?

KM: My memoir would be called “How to Fold a Fitted Sheet” because it is one of those things that everyone has to do at some point but is never taught how to. I think that everyone has their own way of folding fitted sheets that works for them personally, and, although corny, it’s symbolic to the way each individual lives their life, myself included.

HCS: Who is your role model and why?

KM: My role model is Saint Clare. She, without second thought, made sure her life was a life lived to serve others and she broke down the standards that women in her time period were held to. She strived to be a force of peace and good, leaving behind a wealthy lifestyle to live in piety and poverty. (She also saved Saint Francis’ life on multiple accounts!)

HCS: What’s your favorite food?

KM: My favorite food of all time is broccoli rabe with garlic.

HCS: If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you bring?

KM: I would bring water, hair ties and Lorde’s Melodrama album.

HCS: What is your ultimate career goal?

KM: My ultimate career goal is to be a traveling entertainment and food journalist. I think being able to immerse myself in all of the unique cultures and amplify the voices of those that exist all over the world would be a dream come true, and simultaneously having the opportunity to write for a newspaper, blog, magazine, website or whatever medium is relevant at the time, would be an honor!