danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Start Your Summer Internships Hunt Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Even though the spring semester is just getting into gear and we are still getting adjusted to new classes, there is another topic you should be thinking about: internships. Particularly, summer internships. It may seem early but companies have already been posting for positions in their different internship programs. Some have already even closed out but it’s still certainly not too late to get started on your own internship search!

Source

The first way to start is making sure you have your resume and cover letter in order and updated. If you have no clue where to start with this, your best bet is to make your appointment with the career center RIGHT AWAY. Since it’s spring, plenty of seniors are flooding the available time slots in hopes of finding a job because of their closely approaching graduation. It is usually about a one or two week wait for your appointment after you book it, so do it as soon as you can. If you can get your resume approved within one visit, you’re off to a running start, since you can now upload it to Career Saints and start applying for internships on there right away.

Now, let’s say that you’re not too keen on Career Saints for whatever reason. Where do you go to start for your search? In my personal experience, the best websites for internship research have been Wayup.com, Indeed.com, and Monster.com. Many posts on Wayup are actually on Career Saints; however, the site is very user friendly and easy to navigate on its own. Indeed is even more thorough in that the search engine is further personalized to what you are looking for. However, sometimes this search engine is imperfect and can show you internships you try to sort out. For example, when trying to find an internship that is paid, often results will come up that aren’t paid but “can lead to a paid position.” From what I can tell, Monster is the most extensive out of the three proposed sites; yet, it is probably the hardest to navigate and separate results.

If none of these sites come up with an internship that strikes your fancy, just try looking on the websites of companies you really want to work for one day or those like it! A lot of the companies may only have an email posted to direct you to someone in charge of the intern program, but it’s always worth a shot.

Source

The final step is to grunt out those applications and send them off! Right? NO. Do not apply to all the great internships you’ve found at once. In fact, I would say apply to maybe one or two daily max! You want to make sure your resume and cover letter are tailored to each position you are applying for. In addition, you want to double check for grammar or spelling errors that can immediately disqualify you from your dream internship. After applying, follow up within a week or two to check on your application status. Maybe you won’t get your favorite position but stay positive and keep applying until you have your summer plans set!

Title Image Source 

Christina Schultz is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Economics..