Growing Up With My Dad the Police Officer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

For as long as I can remember, I would brag to everyone who would listen that MY dad is a police officer. As a child I’m not sure I really knew what this meant but I knew it was important; I knew how lucky I was. Many people talk about growing up in a home with a police officer as a parent. They see it as a bad thing because they grew up in an extremely strict environment. 

However, I have never taken for granted just how fortunate I am to have the father I do. My dad has taught me more than anyone else has. He has taught me to question anything and everything I see, to be confident, and to follow my intuitions, but to not disregard the ideas of others because they could be right.  He has taught me to be brave, stand up for what I believe in, and never stop fighting for what is right. Now I know it seems like just any father could teach you these things, but I don’t think I could ever explain what it’s like to be taught by a police officer. Sure, we all have small encounters with them but do many of us really know what it’s like to grow up with a hero in the next room?

My dad has always heard me out no matter if he knew I was wrong or not; he let me tell my side of the story and I know that is something he carries over into his work every day. More recently, police officers have been portrayed in a sinister way and that saddens me because I know my dad is one of the greatest men out there. His occupation does not define who he is but rather, he determines who he is seen as a police officer because of who he is. Sometimes I catch myself being cautious about telling others that my dad is a police officer but I quickly realize I have nothing to be cautious about. My father is genuine and good and that shows in his career every day.

I have been fortunate enough to learn such a vast amount about our criminal justice system and exactly what it means to be a police officer. I am proud beyond words of my dad every single day for what he does for not only me and my family, but for other people as well. Never in my life have I met such a kind, selfless, and giving man. So thank you Dad for always being patient with me, for answering my questions, for protecting me and so many others every day, and most of all for loving me unconditionally.  My dad isn’t only a police officer – he is my best friend and for that I am forever grateful. 

Alyssa Prendergast is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied Psychology during her time at Siena.