The Documentary Every College Student Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s no secret that when it comes to sexual assault, the criminal justice system doesn’t always get it right. However, the secret may lie in an entirely different form of “justice.” The disciplinary hearings that take place inside college campuses across the nation have become the subject of question recently. The 2015 documentary The Hunting Ground exposes what really happens behind closed doors, as survivors share their experiences with the audience. The leading ladies of the documentary, Annie Clark and Andrea Pino, take a closer look into the way universities have handled rape on campus under Title IX.

Photo Source

I believe the ultimate goal of The Hunting Ground is to inspire college students all over the world to stand up for survivors and strive to make campuses a safer place. The pioneers of the cause, Clark and Pino, traveled all across the nation teaching women affected by sexual assault how to file a Title IX complaint against the schools who have turned their backs on these women. The ladies began working with senators and politicians, including Albany’s own Kirsten Gillibrand, and the president of the United States, Barack Obama. Now over 70 schools are under investigation by the Department of Education in violation of Title IX.

Survivors’ testimonies are by far the most moving scenes of the documentary. What is just appalling is not only the accounts of their assaults, but also of the treatment they received afterwards from their schools, peers, and even the media. These women and men were bullied, threatened, and silenced by their institutions who promise the safety of ALL students.

Gif Source

The Hunting Ground is a must see for all college students and administrators. The documentary has shocked audiences to their core. Lady Gaga said it best when her song, written for The Hunting Ground, was nominated for an Oscar…

Photo Source

Olivia Waldron is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.