Alyssa Guzman ’21 – Her Campus Siena Staff Member

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Ever wonder who the wonderful ladies behind the Her Campus Siena articles are? This year, you’ll find out! Check back in every now and then for our profiles of each member of the amazing Her Campus Siena team. 

Name: Alyssa Guzman

Class/year: Freshman, 2021…Well, I guess I’m technically a sophomore now since I came in with a semester’s worth of classes/credits. 

Her Campus Siena: What is your major/minor/certificate? 

Alyssa Guzman: I’m an English major, with a double minor in Journalism and Writing and Communications. 

HCS: Why did you choose your major?

AG: I fell in love with writing and I want to be a novelist. But I’m also realistic, hence why journalism is my minor. But essentially, I want to write. And since Siena doesn’t have a journalism major, I went English for writing, not for education like everyone seems to think. 

HCS: Why did you want to get involved with Her Campus Siena?

AG: I’ve always thought writing for a magazine would be so much fun! So when my Saint orientation leader, Julianna, told me about Her Campus Siena I knew I wanted to join immediately. And it’s also great for my resume, as I can use it as experience. 

HCS: What is your favorite part of working with Her Campus Siena?

AG: Besides getting to hang out with a group of empowering women every Sunday, I really like writing the articles and getting to choose the topics. It switches things up from the constant academic essays. I really enjoy getting to see my name and work being published! 

HCS: What are you involved with on campus?

AG: I also write for the student newspaper, The Promethean, for the Academic and Social section. I interned with a newspaper over the summer and loved it, so of course, I had to join this! And I really love the people I get to work with in my section. We’re like a little family and it’s really nice. 

HCS: What is your favorite thing about Siena?

AG: Well, for one, it’s in New York and I’ve always known I’ve wanted to live somewhere in the state of New York. Everyone here is so nice and friendly, and it’s a happy little environment. And the professors, for the most part, have been really great, too! It’s also small, which I like coming from a high school that only had 200 kids K-12. 

HCS: What would your memoir be called and why?

AG: “I See the Family Resemblance.” My mom and sister will understand. 

HCS: Who is your role model and why?

AG: Alright, I’ve got a couple. The most important one is my mom. She’s never given up on her dreams and she’s a really hard worker and she’s determined. She doesn’t let things stop her. She can accomplish anything she puts her mind to and she’s always been supportive of me and my dreams, even when she knows it’s a long shot. And the next two are celebrities. I can hear my mom rolling her eyes from here…the first one is Taylor Swift. Not only am I a huge fan, but she’s always super nice, supportive, friendly and a true businesswoman. She went for her dreams and achieved it and she didn’t let fear get in the way. She’s passionate about her work and she stays true to who is she. And the last one is Emma Watson. Not only was she the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador and a true feminist, but she’s also hardworking and inclusive. She fights for the rights of all women and I think she’s a wonderful example for all girls, especially young girls, to follow. 

HCS: What’s your favorite food?

AG: My mom’s potato salad!!! Greatest thing you’ll ever eat. 

HCS: If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you bring?

AG: I’m going to steal this from a friend of mine, but it’s smart. I would bring a plane, engine fuel and pilot. 

HCS: What is your ultimate career goal?

AG: I want to be a fiction novelist, but I wouldn’t mind working for The New York Times or Cosmopolitan.