7 Heroines That Inspired Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Inspiration can come in many forms. For some people, it’s a powerful quote and, for others, it can be a person. Now, that person doesn’t always have to actually exist. Fictional characters are a great source of inspiration to draw on because, oftentimes, they’re written to show both their strengths in ways that can help people overcome their own struggles. Personally, I’ve fallen in love with quite a few heroines who’ve helped me become a better person. Here’s a few of them:

1) Luna Lovegood

Luna was the character I identified with most. People found her odd and made fun of her for her interests. The way she was unapologetic about who she was really stuck with me. Her mind worked in ways that helped people see a different solutions to problems. Plus, she generally loved her friends and was always willing to do nice things for them, even if they may not have been as accepting to her in the beginning. She taught me that it was okay to be a little out there, as long as you were kind and brave.

GIF Source

2) General Leia Organa

Now, I can write a 10-page essay about how much of a BAMF Leia Organa was, but I’m going to focus on her more recent appearance as a general. Her own son was fighting against her, Luke had disappeared, and she was leading the Rebellion. All of this was going on and she was still full of hope and full of fight. Plus she never lost her sass. She never gave up and inspired me to do the same. (RIP Carrie Fisher, may the force be with you always).

GIF Source

3) Tali’Zorah vas Normandy

One of my favorite companions in the Mass Effect video game series, Tali starts off as a young person trying to help her people and ends up joining your character to stop someone from destroying the galaxy. She is a strong leader who constantly tries to further her own understanding of the universe to help the people around her, even when everyone is against her. Do what you believe is right, despite what everyone else says.

GIF Source

4) Paige Matthews

An addition to the later seasons of Charmed, Paige is the youngest sister who just wants to help people. She makes mistakes but her heart is in the right place. The greatest thing about her is that she never stops loving people, despite all the heartbreak she endures over the years. She never lets it make her bitter or stop her mission of protecting innocents.

GIF Source

5) Lieutenant Uhura

When Star Trek debuted in the ’60s, Lt. Uhura was already breaking barriers by being a WoC in a command position. She is the communications officer aboard the enterprise who never lets anyone shut her down. Also, even in the ’60s version, she was a major feminist. (Can we take back the mini-skirt as feminist apparel, btw?). She showed me that no one can silence you, even in a male dominated world.

GIF Source

6) Leslie Knope

Leslie Knope should be president, just saying. She was always optimistic and caring, no matter how difficult her situation got. Genuinely loving her community, she constantly fought to make it better, even though the people of Pawnee didn’t necessarily like the changes she made. Be a Leslie Knope and fight for what you believe in while never losing your passion.

GIF Source

7) Lt. Olivia Benson

Law and Order: Special Victims Unit is currently on its 18th season and Benson has been on there for that entire time. She fights for justice and doesn’t rest until she’s done all she can for the victim. In the later seasons, she becomes a single mother to an adopted child while maintaining her career. She’s strong and does not tolerate anyone with patriarchal ideals.

GIF Source

These are just a few of the heroes I’ve come to love over the years. If they inspire you too, that’s great! Just know that there’s a lot more heroines out there to be inspired by if you find media that you love!