5 Movies Inspiring a Back-to-School Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Still struggling from end-of-summer blues? While you may still be mourning summer even when the leaves start turning, it’s crucial to get into the back-to-school mood early on in the semester. If you find that your creative juices just aren’t flowing yet, why not watch a movie all about school to kick into gear?

GIF Source

No, this doesn’t mean digging into the Netflix documentary section for something about colonial education systems – but hey, if this interests you, be our guest! Watching a contemporary movie set in or about a school setting may just be the key to snapping you out of your slump and preparing you for another busy school year. Below are some personal recommendations that are both funny and serious, covering anything from riff-offs to growing up.

1) Pitch Perfect (2012)

GIF Source

While the great appeal of Pitch Perfect lies within its musical moments, the movie creates a collegiate world that rings true to any student. Awkward roommate pairings? An overwhelming club fair? Tense rivalries between clubs with similar motives? Barden University may be fictional, but its campus seems like home for any college student watching. This is a great movie for curing any kind of mood, but watching it in a school slump will remind you that some of your best college experiences can come from the activities you choose to do.

Watch this if: you and your squad are hanging out after a long, stressful week

2) Liberal Arts (2012)

GIF Source

A love letter to writer/director/star Josh Radnor’s own college experience, Liberal Arts presents a college sophomore and a grown adult who feel out of place in their ages. Zibby, played by Elizabeth Olsen, believes she is more mature than her classmates, while Radnor’s Jesse feels uninspired in his career and longs for the intellectual lifestyle of college. In the end, they both learn that life doesn’t allow shortcuts or flashbacks to another age and that everyone needs to appreciate the stage they’re currently living.

Watch this if: you feel sick of the college lifestyle and can’t wait to graduate

3) Dead Poets Society (1989)

GIF Source

Although it takes place in a boys’ boarding school, Dead Poets Society is the perfect flick to watch when you’re struggling with an essay, feeling lost about your path, or just need a bit of a creative reaffirmation. It’s definitely harder to watch with Robin Williams’ death in mind, but any English or Creative Arts major will have chills of recognition watching the Carpe Diem scene. You may want tissues nearby while watching this, but you’ll come away from it with a new appreciation for what writers do on a daily basis.

Watch this if: you need some motivation for an assignment

4) Legally Blonde (2001)

GIF Source

It may be 15 years old, but this flick about Reese Witherspoon giving it her all in law school never gets old. Although Witherspoon’s Elle Woods starts her law studies to impress her ex, she soon discovers that she has a passion for the field that goes beyond proving herself to a man. We all have our moments of self-doubt about finding professional success, and there’s no better motivator than watching Elle exceed everyone’s expectations. A great supplemental motivator is listening to some songs from the Legally Blonde Broadway cast recording – “So Much Better” and “Chip on My Shoulder” are perfect for staying driven and positive. 

Watch this if: you feel that you don’t fit the norm of those with your major but still love the work

5) An Education (2009)

GIF Source

Far from your typical school story, An Education is an Oscar-nominated film that tackles the confusion of growing up and coming to terms with what adulthood is. Jenny is a student bound for Oxford University, but she’s bored by her simple life in a dreary English suburb. When a man who seems to hold the key to the exciting, culture-filled life she wants appears, Jenny begins to doubt that she needs more academic education. Similar to Liberal Arts, this film explores feeling beyond your age and wanting the perks of adulthood before you’ve really lived.

Watch this if: you’re feeling discouraged about the path you’re on

If you haven’t jumped into the back-to-school grind yet, try watching one of these movies to get yourself back on track!                      

Kristen Perrone is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.