5 Disney Channel Movies We Totally Forgot About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

If you house was anything like mine growing up, Disney Channel original movies were a treat. Those were the nights my parents would let my sisters and me stay up late and we would set up the VCR to record the premiere. That way we would be able to finish it when we inevitably fell asleep on the couch.

Halloweentown

This is one that hardly anyone forgets, especially come October. The movie premiered October of 1998 and remains a fan favorite during the spooky season. Marnie has the coolest grandma, Aggie, and everyone wished they could take the magic bus to Halloweentown and master their powers. Throughout the many sequels we never lost our love for Marnie and all the witches.

Gif Source

Smart House

If movies could predict the future, this one came pretty close. When Smart House premiered in 1999, the concept seemed insane, but the scary part is that, in 2017, we are basically living it. The house Ben and Angie live in is named “Pat.” Pat can do things like lock doors, close windows, turn lights on and off, and brew coffee. “Pat” bears a frightening resemblance to Amazon’s Alexa. Let’s just hope Alexa doesn’t trap us all in our houses like Pat ended up doing.

Image Source

Life Size

Although this movie originally premiered on ABC in early 2000, it still counts as a Disney original in my book since it debuted on Disney Channel just a few months later. Casey, played by Lindsay Lohan, was the luckiest girl in the world when her “Eve” doll came to life. Eve dolls are strikingly similar to Barbie Dolls, and young girls everywhere learned that even though it sounds awesome to bring your doll to life, eventually the spell must be undone.Image Source

Motocrossed

This original movie was all about girl power. When it first aired in 2001, Andrea was not allowed to race motocross because she was a girl. She proved to everyone in the sport that girls can race just as well when she cuts all her hair off and races under her brother’s name. Andrea learns that the sport is highly competitive but does not give up. When her cover is blown during the final race her mother stands up for her. The rules do not explicitly state that girls are not allowed to race and the officials are forced to let Andrea keep her champion title.

Image Source

Cadet Kelly

Hilary Duff starred in this military movie in 2002. Kelly was an eighth grader whose mother gets married to an army general and sends her off to the military school he is commander of. Kelly has trouble fitting in to the crowd seeing she is a girly girl who is not used to getting a little dirt under her nails or taking orders. Kelly catches a glimpse of Cadet Major Brad Rigby and decides to give the school her all in order to impress him. Kelly competes with Cadet Captain Jennifer Stone for Brad’s heart but in the end Kelly and Jennifer work together to beat other schools in their regional drill team competition.

Gif Souce

Thumbnail Source

Accounting major at Siena College, graduating May 2019.