5 Alternatives to Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

You have two essays, a test, five readings, and three club meetings this week. How is one going to get all that done? The average college student’s answer is probably “COFFEE.” And while we all love the energy that coffee gives us, it sometimes gets a bit old. Let’s face it, it’s really the caffeine we love and need in coffee, so why not try something different but equally caffeinated? Here are some alternatives that will help you gain that much-needed boost of energy!

1) AWAKE Chocolate Bars

AWAKE chocolate bars will definitely keep you awake during those 8-ams! AWAKE chocolate bars taste exactly like regular chocolate, but they have an extra dose of caffeine in them! What’s even better about these bars is that they come in solid chocolate form or granola form (if you want one for breakfast)! Siena sells these at the bookstore, Casey’s, and the C-Store. The solid chocolate comes in milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and caramel flavors.

2) Tea

Tea, a classic alternative to coffee, can be very refreshing while you’re up late studying! While tea has less caffeine content per ounce than coffee, it also has less calories, so you won’t feel bad about drinking twice the amount! Tea also has a variety of health benefits, including antioxidants that help prevent various diseases. Black and green teas have the most caffeine content of your average assortment of teas.

3) Clif Energy Bars

These protein bars pack quite a bit of caffeine in them (approximately equal to half a cup of coffee). Plus they have tons of other nutrients! So, if you’re looking for something healthier, these may be for you!

4) Energy Water

Be careful with these, as they often contain just as much or more caffeine as coffee! However, these have a more refreshing taste than coffee and give you your much needed energy dose!

And finally #5…SLEEP

There’s not an artificial energy substitute for an actual good night’s sleep. Even if you feel like you have a million things to do, it’s important to get some sleep every night. It’s proven that less sleep = lower levels of brain function. So if you really want to do well on those assignments, it’s best to put down the caffeine and get some real sleep (even if it’s only for a few hours)!

Emily Radigan is a Siena College Class of 2020 alumna. During her time at Siena, she triple-majored in Political Science, Philosophy, and a self-designed interdisciplinary major in Gender and Sexuality Theory and Activism.