10 Things I Can’t Wait to Do This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

Since there’s only two weeks left of the semester at this point, a lot of summer things have been floating through my mind lately to procrastinate studying for finals, like all the ice cream treats, friend gatherings, family BBQs, and doing absolutely NOTHING. That incredible feeling of waking up on a beautiful day to relax, swim, be with family and friends, and of course, our dogs! (Don’t worry, we were all thinking of our dogs the whole semester and now it’s almost time to be with them for months straight!)

So what are the 10 BEST things that I can do once the minutes have counted down and summer is here?

1. Sleep in my own bed.

Okay…so my mattress pad and bed at school may or may not be a bit comfier than my queen-sized bed at home, but every college kid has the same love for their bed at home. We all count down until we can sleep in our bigger beds for more than a few nights on end. Also, did I mention no dealing with roommates for four months? Yeah. I thought so.

2. Hiking

Maybe everyone isn’t all about nature hikes, camping and the outdoors aspect of summer, but there’s nothing like going on a hike on a beautiful sunny day in the midst of summer and then finding a place to swim and cool off, not to mention the serenity of nature.

3. Swimming

With that being said, swimming is always one of the BEST parts of summer. Whether it’s in your pool, a lake, the ocean, or a pond, swimming is always the most fun way to cool off, it’s a great way to burn calories, and the environment is always completely fun and different. Along with swimming comes the water skiing, paddle boarding, surfing, boating, and all the fun water activities that make summer…. well, summer.

4. Travel/Vacation   

Whether you’re traveling to a foreign country, visiting friends from school in their hometown, or going on a family vacation, getting away and escaping to paradise or a different culture is always memorable and makes for an incredible summer. If you’re not going on a family vacation or traveling, even just getting away for a night or two to go somewhere with friends from home or visiting friends from school is a great idea!

5. Campfires and S’mores

One of the absolute best nighttime activities of summer nights is a good campfire and s’mores with family or friends. The laughs, warmth, and serenity of a campfire is enough to make anyone get into that summer mind set.

6. EAT

Okay, I know everyone was thinking it, because if food DOESN’T come to mind when you think of summer, WYD? Between the barbeques with hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, and with the ice cream, popsicles, watermelon, corn on the cob, isn’t summer the best time for food? It’s all our favorite dishes packed into one season. Yum. I for one will be looking forward to the food!!!

7. Being with my hometown friends

College life and friends are great and all, but I am so looking forward to being 10 minutes away from my childhood besties again and hanging out in our usual spots. I love nothing more than sharing summers and memories with them and just being with them–that piece of home that makes my heart so happy. I can’t wait to go on mini-vacations with them, have pond parties, campfires, and go hiking with them! (Can finals week be over already???).

8. Feeling like a little kid again

Throughout the school year, especially in college, I find myself going a million different places every second, having waayy too many responsibilities, and trying to manage my time to fit everything in. It’s a nonstop cycle and I barely have any time for myself most days. I know a lot of us are counting down the days until summer for ZERO responsibility, being outside all the time, using popsicles as our main hydration source, and starting it all over again the next day. Despite having summer jobs and some of us taking summer classes, there’s just something about summer that makes us feel less like adults, less responsible, and more able to do things for us that we usually can’t during the year. We feel young again!

9. Watching Netflix

Okay so we may watch copious amounts of Netflix throughout the semester, but summer is the one time we can watch it without feeling guilty or stressed because of the enormous workload we have sitting next to us. I can’t wait to catch up on TV shows I haven’t had time to watch, and other movies as well!

10. Simply being with family

I admit, although I love Siena and the college bubble, I do constantly miss my family. Summer is the best time to unwind and have memorable moments, laughs, and times together with my family. I am so excited to be with my parents (until they get annoying about 8 minutes into summer), siblings, and cousins!! Summer is the best family time. Simply the best time all together, and I am counting down the days.

Living every day to the fullest and trying to change the world