Why Should you Seriously Consider getting a Pet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

Every morning I wake up to the furry little paws of my cat, Phoebe, nudging my face. If it is not her paws nudging me, she uses her actual face and nose to nudge me. I am always woken up when her cold wet nose touches mine. This is totally annoying at 5AM, but also the sweetest thing to see her do. All of this is done just to give her a little attention and a treat. Then she will patiently wait for me to then open the blinds, and set her chair by the window so she can look out and observe her turf for the day. It would be very unusual to not be greeted by her at the front door whenever you enter the apartment.

These are just a few of her tiny quarks that make her my pet and my furry friend. The Army Medical Journal tells us that owning a pet can bring a person less stress. Not only that, but also an overall sense of well-being. Personally, I know Phoebe helps me relax when I come home from a long day. I am that cat owner that must pick up the cat and give a hug to greet them. Having a little fur ball want your attention feels good after a stressful day. Especially one that is yours alone.

Also, the medical journal went on to say how pets can also bring social comfort. This just means they make a person not feel alone if a pet is around. Again personally, I noticed this myself with Phoebe. Whenever my roommate is not home, the cat is always with me. She will let me know she is around too by meowing, or rubbing against my legs when she moves around the room.

Until recently, I had never noticed how much my pet plays into my overall well-being. I considered just a handful of research and saw the benefits she gives just from existing. If you are someone that gets stressed out or lonely, maybe a pet that is suitable for your lifestyle is worth considering. 

French, M. T. (2016). Animal-assisted health and the performance triad. U.S. Army Medical

Department Journal, 99-107.

My name is Brittany and I am excited to share my experiences writing for Hercampus!
Cat enthusiast. Traveler. Aspiring PR professional.