How to Make the Perfect Messy Bun in 3 Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ship chapter.

By: Jenna Wise

At least several days out of the week, I am overwhelmingly tempted to sleep in as long as possible and leave for class in whatever clothes I happen to pull out, not caring at all what anybody who happens to look at me is thinking. Most days, I give in to this temptation and go even further by attempting to put my hair up in the perfect “messy” bun to match how casual I dress; however, I have never been able to meet someone or find a technique that has worked with my long, straight hair and semi-thin texture. Finally, after many months of searching, I am across the following method for creating the perfect messy bun:

Step 1: Brush your hair the whole way through, then into a ponytail depending on where you would like the bun to end up.

Step 2: Tease the hair inside the ponytail well, then divide the hair into two sections.

Step 3: Wrap both sections of hair in opposite directions around the base of the ponytail, pinning the extra pieces one inch from its ends to give the bun a more frayed look. Adjust depending on how messy of a look you want, then spray well with hairspray.

Hey, I'm Jenna! This is my first semester writing for HerCampus Ship, and I couldn't be more excited to have the opportunity to grow as a writer in such a fun, laid back environment as HerCampus. I grew up in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, just about ten minutes away from Hershey. This is my second semester at Shippensburg, and I am currently double majoring in Communications/Journalism and Political Science. When I'm not in class, I love to travel, take pictures, read, and explore new places with my friends. I hope you all have a fun and successful semester, and I hope you enjoy what I plan on sharing with you!
I'm Nicole! Nikki, Nic, anything you want to call me really. I'm from south-eastern Pennsylvania and I love life and beauty. Whenever I'm not writing or taking pictures for my blogs or social media accounts, you can find me (hopefully) at the beach surfing, traveling, making new friends and seeing new places. I'm in love with people I've never met and places I've never been to. I am currently a Senior (!!!) at Shippensburg University, majoring in Communications Journalism (focusing in Public Relations) and minoring in Psychology. I would love to work for a PR firm with advertising, event planning and perhaps a chance to travel. Thanks for reading!! - Nicole