Wise Words: Female Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Throughout history, women have faced many challenges and hurdles. It is important to acknowledge the women who have left their mark on the world and changed the way people think, learn and interact. Women have made scientific discoveries, written books, brought forth laws and transformed medicine. These are some wise words shared by a few of the most influential women in history that help to inspire and empower women every day.

• “If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.” —Margaret Thatcher, Former British Prime Minister
  • “I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass.” —Maya Angelou, Poet
  • “A woman is like a tea bag—you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” —Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady of the United States
  • “Human rights are women’s rights and women’s rights are human rights, once and for all.” —Hillary Clinton, Politician
  • “We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.”— Malala Yousafza, Activist
  • “The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” — Amelia Earhart, Aviator
  • “On my own I will just create, and if it works, it works, and if it doesn’t, I’ll create something else. I don’t have any limitations on what I think I could do or be.” — Oprah Winfrey, Media Mogul
  • “If you get, give. If you learn, teach” – Maya Angelou, Poet
  • “Every moment wasted looking back keeps us from moving forward”- Hillary Clinton, Politician
  • “To bring about change, you must not be afraid to take the first step. We will fail when we fail to try.” – Rosa Parks, activist

These wise words from influential women in history have helped to shape our past, present and future. They have helped coin the term female empowerment: to increase and improve social, economic and the political strength and to shamelessly claim these well-deserved rights.  

Sophie is currently a 2nd-year Communications student at SFU. She's an avid foodie, coffee snob, yogi and shopaholic, basically the definition of a city girl. However, she enjoys travelling and exploring different cultures and cuisines. To see more of her recent purcahses and foodie escapades visit her Instagram: @sophie3t