What is White Feminism and Why Does It Exist?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Mainstream feminism has been a persistent movement for quite a while, but now it has a new name: “White Feminism”. Let’s start things off simple. If Taylor Swift, Lena Dunham, or Amy Schumer are one of your feminist role models–then you’re a part of the problem. If you have no clue who these women are, sit tight and be awakened. These women are classic examples of white feminism. They claim to be feminists, but fail to acknowledge any issues concerning race or class. White feminism assumes that every woman is equally oppressed.

Now I am not saying that all caucasian feminists are “white feminists,” but the fact of the matter is that while most “white feminists” are caucasian, they prioritize themselves above everyone else. Long story short “white feminism,” is feminism that is centred around issues that white women face, ignoring factors like race, sexuality and disability.

White Feminism definitely exists and I’m not afraid to call it out for what it is. They like to pretend that they get it. I mean they’ve been there right? They’ve experienced sexism and misogyny. They’ve been catcalled and objectified. So of course they understand the oppression of all women, right?

This certainly isn’t the case. Women of colour or women who are queer, trans or disabled will experience misogyny in drastically different ways than cis, straight white women do. You may not have male privilege but do not disregard your other privileges. And whether you like it or not these privileges will influence how others will treat you.

Just because you are a woman, it doesn’t mean that you understand all the painful, different ways in which women are marginalized.

Don’t be fooled by tokenism when women of colour, the LGBTQ community, and women with disabilities are simply included in an event, it’s not enough. Yes, diversity may be acknowledged but it’s often superficial and rather meaningless. Value them as people with knowledge first before you value them as bodies that are just there to sprinkle in some diversity.

Remember when we rooted for Miley Cyrus for coming out and embracing her sexuality, then went to slut shaming Nicki Minaj for doing the same? This is exactly what I’m talking about – there are double standards when it comes to mainstream feminism. There needs to be more dialogue and communication between these different groups of women. There needs to be an admittance that while they may have a great perspective in some areas, they aren’t always going to be able to understand each and every individual’s struggles.

Therefore, if you cannot fully understand the experiences of women of colour, women with disabilities, or women who are LGBTQ then I urge you to LISTEN and LEARN. Ask them what you can do to be more supportive to them.

Ladies, you know yourselves. If you are in a majority group or a more powerful group, please listen to people from minority groups or less powerful groups. Understand where they’re coming from, and based on that, decide what your views are using your own capacity to think and to empathize.

Born and raised in East Africa, Tanzania and Uganda. Edna is a 3rd year International student pursuing a major in Communication and minor in Publishing at Simon Fraser University. Currently doing a co-op placement at Simon Fraser University Career and Volunteer Services as a Special Projects Assistant.She enjoys reading, sports, theatre and karaoke. She is a loving mother to two beautiful guinea pigs named Amarula and Kahlua. She loves Cheesecake! She's a Social Justice Warrior Princess. Connect with Edna and follow her story. Instagram: @shineella96 Twitter: @shineella96 Snapchat: @shineella96