What It Means to “Find Yourself” in University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I never really understood what it meant to “find yourself” at university. It seems like a deep, philosophical realization that completely shifts your way of being. Am I supposed to figure out who I am while studying for my Stats 101 final? All I’m realizing is that statistics is too hard and I should procrastinate less… a lesson I never learned.

A lot of TV shows and movies portray university as the best time of your life. You gain an amazing group of friends with ease who all share similar interests with you, you study something you love and have no problem finding a job in your field, and you have the time of your life having adventures while still maintaining a stellar GPA. My idea of young adulthood was misconstrued. My naive brain though this was the only manner to understand yourself. So, before entering post-secondary, I expected to completely transform as a person. Spoiler: hasn’t happened yet, I don’t think.

My direction for this article is pretty unclear, as I’m still a lost student who defiantly hasn’t found herself. I think the main thing I’ve learned at university is how not to waste your time, which is a bit different than procrastinating. You might procrastinate studying for your final, but you’re not wasting your time by taking that class. Finding yourself at university is pretty subjective, but I feel that however you want to find yourself, it can be done by filling your time at university with more than just studying.

I know it’s oversaid, but volunteering and getting involved in school is pretty valuable. What I find the most valuable is when I try something new and end up hating it. I feel when you fail and struggle is when you learn the most about yourself. I’ve tried a lot of activities, taken a lot of classes, and volunteered for a bunch of places that I realized weren’t for me. The process of elimination really helped me narrow what I want out of life. 

Failure is your friend. Feeling lost is valuable. A quote a hear a lot is: “if you don’t know where you’re going, any road will take you there.”

Every day I get a better understanding of myself.  There’s one level of self-awareness I aim to reach. It’s not dreading the conversation you have with your relatives over the holidays on what your plans are after graduation. Only then can you find inner peace. Yes, Grandpa, I can find a job within my field. No, I’m not getting married anytime soon. JESUS.

Jokes aside, I’ll have an “aha” moment, but I think those come in pieces, and the puzzle will never be complete. University is a great place for self-exploration because it’s the beginning of adulthood and you start to realize that it means to be responsible and independent. We’re constantly growing, so I don’t think we ever conclusively “find ourselves”. After all, it’s a journey that we should embrace.

Photo Source: http://http://pameladennisphd.com/is-feeling-lost-in-transition-keeping-you-from-selling/

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french.