What to Do When Your Stomach and Wallet are Empty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

From club meetings to exam dates, as a student, you are constantly given a ton of deadlines. So, sometimes coordinating your money with your refrigerator ends up low on the priority list. Food often becomes an afterthought until the fridge is empty and so is your bank account. Then panic ensues. And skipping lunch makes it feel like there is a vacant and sad hole in your stomach that must be filled. Here is what to do once you are done crying about that:

Attend a Family Dinner.

This seems like a good time to call up the parents and tell them that you will actually be joining them for dinner. Maybe you normally avoid these functions because they often come with a lot of stressful questions like “How is school going?” or “How many years do you have left at school?” or “What classes are you taking at school this semester?” and “Why aren’t you answering any of our questions about school?” But this is the time to suck it up, so that you can chow down. Nothing like the old parents to load up your plate with seconds. Plus, the visit will make both your tummy AND your mummy happy.

Visit Costco.

Why, you ask? Free samples. How? Well if your parents are anything like mine, then they do a weekly or biweekly Costco trip. Tag along. Of course if you have your own Costco card, go ASAP. With or without parents. But something tells me that, if you don’t have anything in your fridge, then you probably don’t have a Costco card either. Maybe one day. We can dream.

Take Part in School Events.

You have probably been meaning to become more involved. Well now is the time because club events and other functions often try to lure people in with food. Let the luring happen. Give in.

Mooch Off of a Friend.

I wouldn’t normally encourage mooching off of friends, because how will you ever actually learn to plan your meals? Plus, there is a good chance you will just piss your friends off, but in emergency situations there are always exceptions. Plus, there is always that one friend who has hoarded ramen to last her for a year. No one likes to eat alone anyway and you can easily reimburse her at a later date with some ramen for her collection.

Happy food hunting and try to still be a thankful and decent person when reaching out for help. What comes around, goes around, so next time you see a classmate look at their wallet in angst as their stomach growls, hook the classmate up with some ramen.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.
Deborah is an English major and Linguistics minor with a mild Peter Pan complex. She is an avid tea-drinker and shower singer whose favourite pastime is napping. Her goal in life is to one day touch Harry Styles's hair.