This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

If you haven’t noticed, the days have been getting darker, the weather has provided a steady chill in the air, and the rain seems to come and go like no other. Canadians normally associate winter with a lovely snowfall that drifts from the air just in time for the holidays. Except, that isn’t the fact for those of us that live in the Pacific Northwest. Here, we don’t have a distinct change from fall to winter. Instead, we’re graced an awkward period until spring where it’s just perpetually damp and cool with the odd day of complete sun. In other words, it’s just an unpredictable few months. So how exactly are we supposed to combat these rainy days? Below are some wardrobe essential to guide you through the Pacific Northwest weather.

Layers

There’s only one thing that will keep you sane in the bipolar B.C weather: layers. Learn to love layers, as they will be your best friend this season. Layers provide you the ease of switching on and off jacket and shirts to fit the ever-so-static weather patterns. Not only are they practical, layers provide an easy way to spice up your outfit by utilizing many pieces of clothing. 

Tip: For those of you who are new to piling on apparel, try this. Start with a basic tee. Then throw on a plaid shirt that compliments the color of your plain tee. Next, try adding an army green jacket, or a faux leather jacket to taste.  

The Blanket Scarf 

This essential speaks for itself. If there’s one piece that you want to invest in, make it the blanket scarf. This accessory has taken the world by storm. Blanket scarves are extremely comfortable and they’re very easy to throw on and tie a look together. 

Hats

Rain and nicely curled hair do not mix. The moisture in the air can make for a frizzy hair day, which we all try to avoid. Looking for solutions? Try sporting a beanie or a baseball cap. Toques save you from having to pull out your umbrella at any point you’re exposed to rain. It’s an essential accessory, especially on days that you’re too lazy to do your hair or are just striving for an edgier look. 

Rain Boots and Booties 

Don’t mess with a girl and her rain boots. Vancouver has made me appreciate the inventor of the rain boot. With so many colors and finishes like matte or glossy, there is no going wrong. I think Hunter boots have become a rite of passage for the seasoned Vancouverite. There’s no better way to beat the rain than to strut around campus in brightly colored boots. I can always tell when rain is in the forecast when I see multiple students geared up in their glossy Wellingtons. They make a statement for themselves. However, we can’t forget to give love to the bootie, as it’s a staple in my wintertime wardrobe. Booties are perfect in mild weather because it offers more protection than a sneaker, but are still more practical than knee-high boots some days. 

Chunky Knit Sweaters

Believe it or not, #SweaterWeather isn’t just a fall phenomenon. The one thing I love about B.C weather is the fact that they’re many months of the year that I can strut my chunky sweaters around. Oversized knits are an excellent cozy choice for any winter day. The piece is easily dressed up or down, and there is so much room (not just size-wise) to mix and match with skirts, pants, or maybe some ripped/distressed jeans. 

Skirts 

For those of us who prefer to avoid pants and jeans most days… there are options. I love the look of the button-up corduroy or suede skirt. Paired with some tights, leggings, and boots with knee high socks make for an elegant yet warm image. Button-up skirts are a trend that have been circulating for a few seasons now. With a pop of color and the corduroy twist, it makes it perfect for a little wintertime warmth. 

Flannels 

Flannels are extremely diverse pieces of attire. Wear it open, wear it closed, maybe even tie it around your waist to hide your see-through leggings or add some expression to a plain outfit. This winter wardrobe essential is great for layering. With so many colors, you can fill your closet with one for every day of the week.

Athleisure 

The athleisure look is one that has become popular in the last year. To transition into winter, we collegiates must get through a terribly stressful two-and-a-half-week period, better known as finals. A mix of sport, style and comfort, gives you an effortlessly chic appearance that’s perfect for the gloomy weather that graces the mountain. Additionally, there’s no need to sacrifice style or comfort when you can sport your fave Adidas originals or tennis shoes around campus. 

Coats

Those who know me well know that I cannot resist a good jacket. Leather, wool, bomber, or peacoats are all fabulous options for winter in the Pacific Northwest. Wool coats, or what I like to call “the camel coat” is a must have.  I’m sure you’ve seen these elegant coats that fall right at the calf. These coats will require an umbrella, but they’re extremely versatile, as you can wear them with boots, sneakers, or any shoe you please.  

SFU Style Spotlight @speakoftheangel

The lovely Angel embodies the definition of style. Angel pulls off this effortless look which ties together numerous essentials. Rocking the long wool coat with some classic white shoes, Angel ties together her look with a cozy gray scarf, and a beautiful smile. For more fall to winter outfit inspiration, be sure to follow along to her blog.

Now you’ve been inspired, hopefully, you have some #OOTD’s ready for the next month. Don’t be a stranger and let us know what your go-to winter fashion pieces are on our socials! (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter). 

Samantha is a fourth-year student at, Simon Fraser University, pursuing a double major in political science and communication. When not keeping up with what's new in pop culture, Samantha can often be found sipping on Starbucks drinks, or enjoying one-too-many YouTube videos. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Samantha's passion for fashion, fitness, and nutrition is what keeps her going through the week. She's self-motivated, friendly, and never turns down a cup of tea and a nice chat!