West Kelowna Wine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Hello everyone! If there is even an “everyone” to be writing to… This article is long overdue but with the craziness of summer and the construction and rebuild of my blog, please cut me a break.

This August, I celebrated my birthday with my closest friends and boyfriend in beautiful the BC Wine Country that is, the Okanagan. Now, I am no strange to the Okanagan, as I have spent much of my time there throughout my life. I am also no stranger when it comes to vino, as many of you may already know. However, despite my amount of time spent in Kelowna, and although I had experienced the Okanagan wine culture through touring wineries in Osoyoos, Oliver, Summerland, and Naramata, I had not yet experienced the Kelowna wineries. More specifically, West Kelowna. So, what better way to celebrate a wine-loving, twenty-something’s summer birthday?

We hit up many of your typical “must-see” wineries, such as Mission Hills and Quail’s Gate. But if I’m being honest, a beautiful as they were and as much fun as I still did have, during the summer months, I would say that the “hot shot” wineries are almost a tad overrated. Now, I don’t want to take away from them, their beauty, and their success or popularity… But, what I will say is this: DON’T skip the mains, but DO venture out and experience more “Ma and Pop Shop” wineries, so to speak. Personally, my most favourite of the weekend was “The Hatch” on Boucherie Road, West Kelowna. Not only was the atmosphere here radiantly upbeat and unique, but also so relaxed. The staff was amazing and made you feel like a friend, not a customer, which was refreshing. And I am not lying to you one bit when I tell you that every single glass that I had there was absolutely delicious… No, not because it was the last winery of our day and I was really feeling the buzz, but rather because they make truly excellent wine. So, if you ever find yourself with some extra time in Kelowna, make sure to go and grab a bottle (or case) of “The Hatch” wine; 110% approved by me.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa