From Vancouver to Mexico City: Meet Natalia Badulescu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Name: Natalia Badulescu

Graduated: 2012

Degree: Business Administration (B.B.A.) Human Resources Management/Personnel Administration

Natalia is a SFU Beedie Alumni with a wealth of experience in business, art and design. For the past three and half years she’s been living and working in Mexico City. Recently she returned to Vancouver to pursue further education. This ambitious, bilingual, multi-talented woman is an inspiration.

1. You worked for both the British and New Zealand Embassy. Can you tell us about your experience? 

These were great learning and growth opportunities, both professionally and personally. Prior to working at the British and New Zealand Embassy, I did a brief stint at the Mexican Embassy in Spain. I worked there for a self-directed co-op, in the Tourism Board department. I believe this experience, coupled with the fact I speak both English and Spanish fluently and have travelled quite a bit have helped me to get both the job at the British Embassy and the New Zealand Embassy. My role at both focused around trade; helping companies from both of these countries do business in Mexico. As a Business Development Manager, I was tasked with helping companies find distributors and retailers for their product of service in-market, adapt their marketing strategy to the country, to navigate tax and legal systems, and I conducted market research. 

Through these two roles I had a lot of autonomy in how to approach a project, and how to obtain the necessary information, with a limited budget and time constraints. I also was able to travel and attend trade shows, visit companies, and learn about both New Zealand and UK culture. I began working in the retail and fashion sector and then moved on to the agriculture and technology sector, which allowed me to gain in-depth knowledge in multiple sectors. 

2. What would you tell someone who is interested in working at an embassy? 

I would tell them: Embassies are essentially a company, but the brand is a country. Depending on the size you might have a press department, marketing, consular, trade, political, policy, HR, accounting, etc. Certain processes will be the same as for any other organization. However, at embassies you’ll also get a chance to take part in one of a kind activities like royal or ministerial visits, “country brand” marketing campaigns, and national day celebrations for the country you work for. My roles required extensive travel, both in Mexico and abroad, however it’s not always fun to travel for work as you don’t get to see much of the place you’re in and spend most of the time in conferences, meetings or hotels. 

There is also a lot of protocol associated with working in an embassy, after all you are dealing with operations on a government to government scale, more sensitive depending on the department you work in. Another thing to consider is: depending on what your career goals are, there are not a lot of opportunities for upward mobility within the organization. The more senior roles are generally reserved for diplomats from the government they represent and there is really no growth in pay for local staff. Embassies try to make up for this with training, better working hours, extended healthcare and other perks.

3. Since receiving your Degree in Business from SFU, you have studied Visual Art at Vancouver Film School, taken courses in Digital Marketing at the University of Texas (remotely) and are now enrolled at Vancouver Community College where you are studying Jewellery Art and Design. What has all your education taught you? 

All my education has taught me that you should never stop learning. Whether in a formal setting, or teaching yourself through YouTube tutorials, trying new things, making mistakes, and finding new things that interest you is important. Not only will this make you a more interesting person to talk to, but also you can start creating the job that most interests you and start making career decisions based on likes and skills. Employers are more likely to hire a candidate that has a variety of skills as it differentiates them from other candidates with the same degree.  

Personally, I kept going back to more creative programmes and finally decided to quit my job and focus on design full time. I figure right now is the time to finally pursue what I’m passionate about, and if I choose to go back to my old career, the door is not closed, but the what ifs will stop. 

4. I know moving back to Vancouver and leaving Mexico City was tough, as both your parents and boyfriend still live there. What would you tell women who want to pursue a passion, but are scared to leave their life behind?

I would tell them they should do it. It’s never easy, took me long enough to take the leap. Not all relationships can withstand the distance. You need a partner who is confident in themself, and who knows that the distance has nothing to do with how you value the relationship. I am fortunate enough to be with someone who understands that if I find something I’m passionate about, I’ll be happier, and that can only make a relationship stronger. Also, as hard as it may be to admit, there is no guarantee any relationship can last forever. Keep in touch with the people you want to keep in your life and make sure that the sacrifices you are making count for something. 

I miss my family and my life back in Mexico, but this challenge can only make me a stronger person. I am learning new things every day, learning to make mistakes and to keep trying, learning to be alone, constantly learning. We spend so much time at work that if you’re miserable there, you’ll bring that into your other aspects of life. 

5. What do you enjoy doing in your free time?

I love to exercise. I try to get in at least 5 workouts per week. I love to read although I don’t have too much time to read non-school-related things. I enjoy doing arts and crafts projects. Right now I’m testing out colour patinas on copper and brass. I am also trying to learn how to use Photoshop, so sometimes I’ll watch video tutorials and try to create something using the tools I’ve just learned.  

Scarlett is a 4th year Communication major at Simon Fraser University. While she is proud to call Vancouver home, she has quite the travel bug. Places she’s visited include: Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Italy, France, multiple cities in Mexico and a number of cities in the United States. Her favourite pastimes include: drinking tea, admiring well-kerned type and acquiring varying shades of lipstick. You can get to know her more by following her Instagram: @scarlettpoole
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa