From VanCity to LA: Meet Jive PR’s Lindsay Nahmiache

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

From having worked internationally in locations such as London and Bollywood, to living in sunny Los Angeles, becoming a new mom, and recently vacationing in the ultimate traveller’s destination, Bali, this girl is on-the-go. Lucky for me, I was able to catch up with Jive PR + Digital’s Co-CEO & Co-Founder, Lindsay Namaiche for a Q&A in the not-so-sunny, Vancouver BC. Lindsay is not only the Co-Founder and Co-CEO of the award-winning boutique agency, Jive PR + Digital, but she is also one of Her Campus Media SFU’s powerhouse panelists for the upcoming event: Vancouver Women Shattering the Glass Ceiling.

Hobbies: Yoga, travelling for work, tacking on personal travel, reading at least one book per week

Hometown: Toronto born, White Rock raised

Education: BA in Business Communication, International Richmond University of London

HC SFU: What made you choose the field or public relations?

Lindsay: I LOVE communications and getting work with companies to tell their stories. Some say I have work ADHD, I love to know about everything, including technology and health.

HC SFU: Most valuable or significant thing you have learned through your experience in the industry?

Lindsay: It is always changing. Never expect anything to stay the same. When I started my career, social media was just starting out and it wasn’t really applicable to businesses. Now, it’s one of the main sources that we use.

HC SFU: Biggest differences between the North American industry and the European and Indian industry?

Lindsay: I would say that it is the “hustle culture”. For example, everything seems to be a hustle in India. Canada is a little more inclusive and laid back. London is very international yet very refined; you get the best of the best there.

HC SFU: If you could describe your job in one word, what would it be?

Lindsay: Evolving

HC SFU: Describe your average workday?

Lindsay: There is no such thing as average work day in PR, that’s why I love it. I would say that emails are definitely consistent, but my job is anything from doing a photo shoot, taking someone out for coffee, talking to Bitcoin clients, dealing with the entertainment industry.

HC SFU: What brought you to Vancouver?

Lindsay: My family. Vancouver is home. I had been away for six years and missed it. However, I am now living in LA.

HC SFU: Biggest accomplishment thus far?

Lindsay: I have no regrets. Everything in life I have wanted to do, I have tried it even if I have failed. I will continue to take many more chances in my life.

HC SFU: Could you tell me a little bit about Projecting Change? What inspired you to start that up?

Lindsay: I worked in the film industry in Bollywood, but also love social impact films and Ted Talks. So, I started a festival with a film followed by a talk, and we would discuss how it was applicable to Vancouver.

HC SFU: What do you enjoy most and least about your job currently?

Lindsay: The thing I love most is the people that I meet. There are such diverse backgrounds in the industry. As for the least, I would say bookkeeping and dealing with expenses.

HC SFU: Are you a member of any professional orders or associations? Which ones do you feel are the most important to belong to?

Lindsay: I have been a member and mentor with WXN Women’s Executive Network for a while. I also support Top 100 women, Women Entrepreneurs and Enterprising Women.

HC SFU: Have you ever experienced any setbacks or hardships being a woman in business?

Lindsay: I think with PR is very female dominated. However, by being able to touch into the other industries through clients, I am able to see the block that way.

HC SFU: Any key advice or tips on aspiring PR professionals?

Lindsay: You have to know social media. We have a social team and a traditional team; they are really understanding that media is changing drastically. It is important to drive your presence and be active on social media.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa