Strength in Sisterhood: Meet Zoe Nordstrom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I am excited to introduce you to the president of SFU sorority Delta Alpha Theta, Zoe Nordstrom! Zoe been such a positive light in DAT and made me feel very welcomed when I joined DAT in the fall of 2017. I am honored to have been able to interview her for this week’s campus profile and hear about what has led her to where she is today.

Name: Zoe Nordstrom, Delta Alpha Theta President

Hometown: Nanaimo BC

Age: 20

Program: Communications Major + Publishing Minor

Q: What is your program and what would you like to do with it?

A: I am in my third year of the communication program and minoring in publishing. I don’t have concrete ideas of what I want to do but I know that this program opens the door for several avenues that I’m interested in. As long as I end up doing something that is equal parts creative and compassionate I will be happy. I want to do something that’ll help others, and in that, help me too.

Q: What inspires you?

A: I’m inspired by the voices and successes of people who have had to fight harder than others to get where they want to be. I’m inspired by art that pushes boundaries and asks the questions that are seldom asked. I find inspiration in things that go against the ‘norm’, that make people a little uncomfortable. And by people who are unapologetically themselves.

Q: What made you want to become the president of DAT (Delta Alpha Theta)?

A: I wanted to become the president as a repayment to what DAT had given me. After moving away from the comfort of home to pursue post-secondary, I had a rough transition. DAT in ways saved me and helped me adjust. I gained friends, confidence, and was genuinely happy to be where I was. So, if I can be a larger part of the abilities DAT has, then all the better. If I can help even just a handful of people feel more comfortable and happier with their time at SFU then I’ve accomplished my goal. It’s not easy, but it’s worth it.

Q: What does DAT mean to you?

A: DAT to me is a testament to womanhood. It fosters a wide variety of women all of which are powerful, witty, capable, passionate, and bright, all in their own ways. DAT is a place for women to support each other, to grow, to learn, to challenge, and to be. To me, that is very very important.

Q: Outside DAT and school, what do you like to do?

A: One of my favorite things in the world is movies. So, I like that. I like going to the movies, or snuggling up to a movie at home. I like exploring, whether alone or with a friend, walking around town, finding places new and old. I enjoy going out to eat. I like just talking with friends or loved ones for hours on end about whatever. I like books, though it has been too long since I picked one up. I like road trips up the coast or going home to the island. And of course, listening to music and going to concerts is an essential part of my life as well.

Q: Describe yourself in 3 words

A: Curious, Introspective, Inspired

Q: If you could tell your younger self something, what would you say to her?

A: I don’t know if there’s much I’d tell her, at least not much more than “you’ll figure it out”. Although I’d love to let her know that it’s okay to leave behind people who don’t uplift you, or how there’s no better feeling than releasing yourself from what others expect of you, I think that the trials I experienced in my adolescence are what fuel the fire in me now. When I look back I see a girl who was ahead of her time and that made her feel so distant. But now, I’ve started to harness and embrace my differences and will continue to do so. Without all that time of discomfort I don’t know if I’d see the world the way I see it today.

Q: What is something most people don’t know about you?

A: I have an ice cream addiction.

Q: What is your favorite thing about yourself?

A: My favorite thing about me is my ability to observe and absorb. I’ve been told that I’m a good reader of people and of situations. I feel like this natural interest in my surroundings and intuitiveness has elevated my perception of the world and has allowed me to be a more empathetic, mindful, and accepting person. 

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a 19 year old Communication student at Simon Fraser University. I enjoy writing about what is going on in popular culture, beauty, and life in general. Aside from writing, I love baking, caramel macchiatos, music, and spending time with my loved ones. Growing up, I have always been interested in volunteering and finding ways to help make a difference in people's lives. I believe everyone has that one person that has impacted their life and I hope to be that person for someone. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do in the future, so come along and join my journey of navigating life! You can also reach me on Instagram (@emcookxox), Twitter (@emcookxo), and my personal blog here: https://emcookxo.wordpress.com/.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa