The Stages of Grieving a Breakup as Outlined by Monica, Rachel, and Phoebe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Denial

Nothing speaks more clearly to the broken hearted than Monica’s need to smoke one of Richard’s old cigars while wearing a bathrobe and denying all other responsibilities in The One with The Princess Leia Fantasy. After her (somewhat) mutual parting from Richard upon deciding that they simply wanted different things in the future, Monica’s need to dwell on this breakup along with her catatonic disposition shows her complete denial to grasp her situation of new singledom.

Anger 

Post-breakup anger? Rachel is your girl to look to for some sympathy. Breakups sometimes bring out the worst in people and you may find yourself being petty, angry, and possibly behaving differently than you otherwise would have. After Ross and Rachel go on a break and Rachel finds out about Ross’s encounter with the copy girl, in Season Three’s The One Without the Ski Trip, shows Rachel excluding Ross from the group’s plans and acting both rude and relatable. Sometimes, hostility feels like the only answer.

Bargaining

Throughout The One Where No One’s Ready, Monica calls Richard and leaves what she claims to be a “breezy” voicemail message. Her reversion back to communication is a clear indication of her (poor) attempt at bargaining. Another blatant example of bargaining can be found with the lovely Phoebe Buffay, who in The One with The Memorial Service, immediately calls Mike, after their (brief) breakup, because she misses him. Unfortunately, calling your ex does not always end up as beneficial as this act did for Phoebe, so I would not recommend doing this.

Depression

The first season’s episode, The One with The Monkey, traces the initial short-lived romance of David and Phoebe. They meet, they date, he moves to Minsk. Following this, Phoebe seems to never fully move on until meeting Mike. Phoebe’s relationships tend to be brief. This brevity acts as a sign of her depression upon losing her relationship with David. Only upon his return and receiving closure from being given the opportunity to date David once again is Phoebe able to fully move on. This closure happens just in time for the progression of Phoebe’s relationship with Mike.

Acceptance

The One with Barry and Mindy’s Wedding, shows Rachel showing up for her ex-fiancé’s wedding to Rachel’s old best friend. Rachel even agrees to be in the wedding party. Of course, Rachel then inevitably embarrasses herself in front of everyone, but instead of leaving as she wants to, Rachel sticks through the reception. If this isn’t acceptance, then I don’t know what is.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.