SFU’s Very Own Celebrity: Meet Mehran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Meet Mehran, SFU’s very own celebrity. You may know him as “Ran Mehran Meh” on Facebook.  He’s famous for trolling all over SFU Confessions and our textbook pages. However, we have grown to love him and he’s honestly a great guy. He’s quite a comedian and has a page set up called “Mehran Meets World” where he does live streams and funny videos. From live-streaming haircuts to showers, he definitely is someone legendary who is always making us laugh. I had the opportunity to actually meet Mehran for the first time at a birthday party. His persona was quite different from what I had expected. On the Internet, I’ve always seen him as someone who doesn’t take himself seriously and as an Internet troll. However, having the opportunity to meet him definitely made me think differently. He was kind and funny and very interactive.

Tell us about yourself:

People usually struggle to answer the question “Who are you?” because there are so many ways to answer. But the facts are that I am just a 24-year-old male. Or perhaps a conscious living organism that is living and growing consistently throughout what we refer to as time.

How do you feel about all this popularity from the SFU Community?

It feels great to be recognized and noticed by strangers you’ve never met.  I make new friends all the time with people who I’ve never met before. It’s always interesting to see how people react when they see me in person.

You do a lot of funny stuff on “Mehran Meets World.” Do you ever think you’ll end up doing that as a career?

I always enjoy everything that I do. Who knows? One day it may grow and gather a HUGE crowd. It would be great if I can make a living off of all the stupid things I do. The goal is to have fun, though, and live happily.

Many people would describe you as an Internet troll. Do you think you are one?

(Laughs) Well, every time I see a post online, I naturally begin to think of ways to use it as a tool to share my humor. The quicker you post it, the more people see it.

It’s funny to see how people get worked up so easily over online jokes. Even though I am very careful about not offending any race, sexuality, disability, or skin color, I may sometimes joke around about cultures, religions, and languages—but those are fine, because people have control over them.

How does it feel when people in public recognize who you are?

It mostly happens at the mall or at pubs. I remember this one time I went to a pub night at SFU. So many people walked up to me and were shocked that I existed. They thought I only live on the Internet. This one girl in specific dragged me over to her friends at a table and introduced me as “the King of SFU,” and all her friends were like, ” We know who he is.” That was a fun moment.

Diane is currently in her third year of Political Science and Communication at SFU. She aspires to work for the United Nations one day. She is a self-proclaimed Justin Bieber fan, and adores french bulldogs. You can find her at @deechieng on Instagram and Twitter!
Deborah is an English major and Linguistics minor with a mild Peter Pan complex. She is an avid tea-drinker and shower singer whose favourite pastime is napping. Her goal in life is to one day touch Harry Styles's hair.