This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Feeling stressed is definitely a part of a student’s life. When it feels like there are a million assignments due, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself. Here are some tips on how to take care of your stress levels this semester!

Avoid Isolating Yourself

I know there’s always a paper you could be writing or a chapter you could be studying, but it’s important to take a break from academia and spend time with friends and family. Isolating yourself can create a negative mindset, which could lead to poor quality of schoolwork. It’s a little too easy to forget to take care of yourself when you’re bombarded with responsibilities. Taking the time to find social support is a great way to reduce stress and improve your mental health! So, get your phone out and text your besties and plan a day!

Keep your Nutrition In Mind

The most easily accessible food spots on campus are usually pretty unhealthy ones. When you’re stressed, checking out that new poutine place sounds tempting, but you’ll only end up groggy and sleepy when it’s time to crack open those textbooks. Check out these tips for healthy eating during exams, some top brain-food, and some snack ideas when studying!

Don’t Binge Drink

Some may call it a stress reliever, but alcohol is a depressant. About 1 in 4 college students reported academic consequences from drinking. If you are going to drink (a safe amount), wait until the semester is over so there’s more reason to celebrate!

Exercise

Exercise is one of the best things you can do for good health. Exercising releases endorphins in the brain and relaxes your muscles. You don’t even need to have a long and strenuous workout plan to reap the benefits. A short run or 15 minutes of stretches will make you feel better. Working out with a friend makes exercising less intimidating and more enjoyable overall!

Puppy Therapy!

SFU has puppy therapy during finals. Petting some adorable puppies is a great way to take a break from studying. Those happy little animals will definitely boost your mood!

Treat yo’self

Do something nice for yourself that is solely for you. It doesn’t have to be expensive or luxurious. Take a nice bubble bath or a 20-minute nap. Here are some inexpensive ways to treat yourself!

Talk to a Counsellor

There are times when stress and responsibilities gets the best of us. Talk to someone who is trained in order to help you face challenges and ensure that you’re not alone. SFU offers many free and useful services for students. Don’t feel like your problems aren’t “serious” enough or that someone has it worse than you so therefore, you shouldn’t have access to health services. If you have an itch to talk to a professional, go for it! They want to help you.

Be Proud of Yourself

Society makes us feel guilty for not being productive 24/7. Being a post-secondary student takes time, energy, and dedication, so be proud about how far you’ve come and the goals you’ve accomplished! Remind yourself how awesome you are and remember: the stress of final exams won’t last forever! 

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french.