Recipe for Hearty Turkey Kale Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Cooking is a skill not all of us possess. Most people I know love food, but have no idea how to cook anything for themselves. I was, up until recently, one of those people. I had no idea what I was doing in the kitchen, and had actually been banned from attempting to cook by many of my friends. However, after looking over my bank statement and realizing in horror what I spent in takeout food every month could feed a family of four, I knew things had to change. So I started looking for recipes that looked both delicious and fairly idiot proof at the same time. This is one of the first items I made for myself, and after a few months, it is still my favourite. I found the recipe in Chatelaine magazine, but have changed and tweaked the more that I made it.  It is very easy to make, as it mostly requires putting ingredients in a pot or a pan and letting them cook for a specific amount of time. It is also extremely flavourful, very filling, and perfect for those rainy Vancouver nights. 

What you need:
2 teaspoon oil, split
1 pound ground turkey
1 smoked chorizo sausage, chopped (optional)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 cups water
796 ml can of plum tomatoes or diced tomatoes (depends on personal preference as to size of tomatoes in your soup)
2 cloves garlic, minced
½-2/3 teaspoon chilli flakes
½ bunch of kale, ribs removed and chopped
Salt to taste

How to make it!
Step 1: Heat pan over medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of oil. Cook turkey and chorizo in the pan until the turkey is cooked completely through. Put the pan aside.
Step 2:  Put a large pot on burner and heat to medium. Add 1 teaspoon of oil, then add in onion and potato. Cook until potatoes are browned, and the onions are translucent, which should take about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Add in the meat, water, tomatoes, garlic and chilli flakes to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Step 4: Stir in kale and salt at the end. Serve. 

Erin Huxley is a fourth year English student at SFU, who strongly believes that there is nothing that a good book and cup of tea cannot fix. She is a not-so-secret crazy cat lady, who loves nothing more than a good game of soccer and a rousing story, no matter the medium.