Q&A with Fabio de Miranda

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Fabio de Miranda is one of those people whose effortless sense of style makes you look at your own outfit up and down and go back to the closet. Fabio’s warm smile completes his looks, as this man never shies away from making new friends and forming new social connections. His Brazilian accent is swoon-worthy, and his ability to engage in any conversation – from what North West wore over the weekend to socioeconomic issues in the Downtown Eastside – make him a compelling person you should know.

The basics:

Year: “It’s hard to say what year I am in. I guess you can say I am a third year Communications student and a second year Visual Arts student.”
Major: “I am doing a major in Communications but also an extended minor in Visual Arts—don’t tell my dad that!”
Hometown: “My hometown is this city in Brazil called Juiz de Fora, but probably no one here [has heard of it], so… Brazil.”
Relationship Status: “I currently have a beautiful boyfriend.”
Style Icon: “That is so hard to answer because my “style” is kind of all over the place, but right now Kurt Cobain is number one. His style inspires me on a daily basis.”
Hobbies: “Besides doing my little projects for visual arts, I also love helping the people in film with their stuff, from acting in their movies to being the person holding equipment… I’m also a bartender if that counts as a [hobby]. Wow, this is making me realize that I should do more with my life.”

What you should know:

How do you get through the grind of going to school, while bartending for work?
“I try not to waste time with unimportant things like breathing or eating, you know? … I actually don’t know and I am the worst at it, but it somehow works out. I sometimes sleep [for] like 4 hours at night because I get home from work late and still have stuff to do for school, but that’s not too bad. And it’s probably my fault because procrastination is a passion of mine.”

Who inspires you?
“This is going to be the cheesiest answer ever, but I tend to get inspired by people in my life. Like even friends and professors. People [who let me] see their “real” side and their daily lives, but also have this amazing thing about them and they accomplish these super rad things…despite the Monday to Friday bullshit we have to endure.”

What’s your go-to snack for study sessions or working on last minute homework?
“COKE ZERO… or if it’s a day when I can’t think of an excuse to justify drinking the nasty thing that Coke Zero is, then just some funky flavor of overpriced tea. Or coffee. A lot of coffee.”

Where do you see yourself in ten years?
“Hopefully not dead.”

Where do you see yourself in five years?
“I really want to be working with something in the arts but that also can make a difference… like for a non-profit organization or something. Oh! And also, holding a master’s degree in Gender and Sexuality Studies or art history.”

Where do you see yourself in five months?
“Is it bad that this is the hardest one? Hopefully not failing any courses and doing some cool things in the studio.”

Where do you see yourself in five hours?
“I see myself having a beer.”

Now, please enjoy this picture of Fabio de Miranda as a child:

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.