Perfect Skin During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I hate to break this to everyone… finals are coming. As we all know, this means late night study sessions and potential panic attacks, which lead to more and more students neglecting their physical and emotional health as the days pass and finals creep up on us. This includes neglecting our skin care routine. Can you believe that?! I sure can’t.

Now, you may be thinking, “why, Sarah? Why can’t you believe that some of us neglect our own skin?” and my answer to this is simple: you only have one set of skin. Once it’s ruined, it can be hard to return it back to its natural health. This is why it’s important to take care of your skin 24/7, regardless of how lazy you feel.

Welcome to the student’s guide to perfect skin during finals season! Keep on reading to learn some of my best tips on how to keep your skin bright, clear, even-toned and wrinkle-free during times of stress.

Tip #1: Create a routine with amazing products

Routine means you continuously use your skincare products on a daily basis. Basic skincare products to incorporate into your routine include a gentle makeup remover, cleanser, face scrub, face mask, toner, serum and moisturizer. Use your face scrub twice a week to keep dead skin cells at bay, and use your face mask once to twice a week to relax and deeply cleanse your skin.

Does this sound like a lot more product than you normally use? Don’t know the purpose of a serum and when to use one? Sounds like you could benefit from stopping by your local beauty store or dermatologist for a consultation, or feel free to comment your questions below!

Tip #2: Adjust your skincare routine according to season

For example, I use a tea tree oil-absorbing moisturizer during the summer, and a very hydrating vitamin E moisturizer during the winter. This is because my skin tends to become drier during the winter when the air is cool; thus, my hydrating moisturizer helps keep my skin soft and moisturized.

To achieve your best skin care results, adjust all of your products to your own skin’s needs.

Tip #3: Avoid eating processed, oil-based and dairy-based foods

Don’t do it. Trust me. Oil-based, dairy-based and processed foods inflame the skin, resulting in more redness and spots. Instead, opt-in to eating more fruit and vegetables, which will help keep your skin looking fresh and glowy. As a bonus, the more colours of fruits and vegetables you eat, the more vitamins you’re getting. Yay for health!

Tip #4: Sleep, sleep and more sleep

Skin cells need rest to regenerate themselves to provide you with newer, glowy skin. So the next time you need to choose between watching one more Carli Bybel video on YouTube or getting some much needed beauty sleep, choose the latter.

Tip #5: Drink as much water as possible

Water works wonders for your skin. Some of the many benefits of drinking eight glasses of water a day include stronger nails, whiter teeth, shinier hair, and softer, brighter and spot-free skin. Drinking eight glasses of water a day has helped me clear my own skin, as it works internally to get rid of all the bad toxins that cause spots to appear. Make sure to invest in a cute water bottle with a straw to encourage yourself to drink more H2O. Sip as needed, and drink yourself to amazing skin.

WARNING: DO NOT drink too much water during one sitting. Doing this will cause vomiting and nausea. Note that this is rare, but that you should still be careful.

I hope all of these tips inspire you to take better care of your skin! Remember, you only get one set of skin for your entire life.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional skin care expert, but I have had previous skin-care training.

Notice: Full results will appear after 28 days. Results will differ, as each of us have our very own unique set of skin.

Image Source

Sarah is graduating from SFU's Beedie School of Business after six years of studying marketing, human resources and international business. In her spare time, she volunteers to support other students' learning of business communications and at Greater Vancouver Board of Trade events. Connect with Sarah through LinkedIn or Instagram.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.