Meet the Exec: Elvira Chan, Senior Editor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

This week’s Profile and #WCW is our new Senior Editor, Elvira Chan! We’re excited to see what’s in store for Her Campus SFU with Elvira.

Age: 21

Program/Year: Third year Communication major with a minor in Publishing

Exec Position: Senior Editor

Hometown: Vancouver

Social MediaFacebook and her personal blog.

Tell me about yourself?

A small town girl livin’ in a lonely wooooorld. With as many places on my travel wish list as there are books on my bookshelf, I’m an avid explorer, reader, and writer. In the past few years, I’ve traveled from Alaska, Taiwan, and Montreal, to Hawaii and New York. Curious about the people and world around me, I love to express and understand others through words. I can always be found taking walks in the woods and getting lost, baking things that are horrible for you, and anywhere with shelves of books!

How did you get involved with Her Campus?

I’ve noticed Her Campus through their Guide to College Life published book and relatable online content, and found out that SFU has their own chapter. I decided to apply to be a team member and really get involved with a new role and perspective.

What are you most excited about this year in regards to Her Campus?

I’m the most excited about getting to meet so many people who share the same passion I do and to create some great memories online and off! Being part of such a diverse and social group of college women is astounding!

What did you do this summer?

I traveled to Montreal with my best friend for our first trip together, went on a road trip through a few states, spent lots of time experimenting with baking, and re-learning Spanish! Hola!

What is your dream job?

My dream job would be giving back to others, and working in the health sector with a focus on mental health. I think it’s so important to take care of each other in society, and to be compassionate and kind because it can turn someone’s day (or life) around.

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

Binge-watching horror movies like it’s my job. Taylor Swift. It’s a little sad that I know every lyric to every song she’s ever released.

What is your favourite thing to do in your spare time?

My favorite thing to do in my spare time is to lose myself in a movie or novel: it’s so interesting to live through another character.

Do you have any advice to give to your fellow students?

You’ve got nothing to lose by saying yes to opportunities, people, and places! Go be a little crazy and save those stories for when you’re 70 years old and boring. In all honesty though, don’t be afraid to reach out to others and get out of your comfort zone. Journal or take photos, because our memories fade. Be curious and be kind.

Thanks for chatting, Elvira! 

Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.