Marching into Spring: Transitional Pieces for Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Mid-March is a confusing time: not quite winter, but not quite spring either. One day it’s pouring rain and you want to cozy up in warm, comfortable pieces. The next day (or hour), the skies are clear and you want to bask in the spring sunshine.  

In a weather-confused city like Vancouver, choosing outfits can be difficult. It’s too warm for parkas and coats, but too cold to ditch the long pants and sleeves. Here are some fashion pieces to take you from winter to spring:

Denim jacket

The denim jacket is a wardrobe staple. It is a versatile piece that works with a variety of outfits. On chillier days, wear it with a sweater (and possibly a scarf) to keep you warm without breaking a sweat. You can easily slip it off if the temperature rises in the afternoon. On a warm day, throw on your denim jacket over a shirt or cute dress.

Leather jacket

Leather might be darker than the usual spring aesthetic, but it keeps you warm without the extra bulk of parkas and coats. Like a denim jacket, you can layer it with a sweater, shirt, or dress depending the temperature. It is also warmer and creates an edgier look.

Rain boots

Rain boots are a worthwhile investment for anyone in the Pacific Northwest. In between pockets of sunshine, rain is the default for Vancouver’s skies. You’ll likely wear them on colder day so pair them with skinny jeans and a cozy sweater.

Ankle boots

Ankle boots may have been around since winter, but don’t put them away yet. When it’s too hot for knee-highs but too cold for open-toed shoes, ankle boots strike the right balance. You can wear them with a light jacket, nice top, and cuffed jeans. They also pair well with a dress and tights.

White sneakers

As a famous Vine goes, back at it again with the white Vans! Every now and then, Vancouver will bless us with blue skies and sunshine. This is the perfect time to break in those white Vans, Converse, Adidas—whatever suits your step. They’re casual, comfortable, and still very much trendy. On clear days, there are no puddles threatening to stain those bright whites.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa