Making The Most of SFU: For First Years, Returnees, Transfers, & International Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Fall is a very confusing time for me. It is full of conflicting emotions and pumpkin spice lattes and I can never really figure out how four months of summer went by so fast. I’m excited to be done my full-time job, but I’m not stoked on being back in a classroom every day. I even look at my bank account and smile, until I remember that I haven’t paid tuition yet. However, despite all these feelings, I still conjure up memories from my first day of school and somehow, that giddiness never fails to return every September. Going back to school is an opportunity for a fresh start, whether it’s your first year at SFU, your first year in general, or your fifth year (no judgment here). The fall provides you with a chance to make changes to your life, for the better. So, here is how you can make the most of your experience at SFU, regardless of what type of student you are.

First years:

I can still remember, very vividly, the terror that struck my heart when I realized that I was lost on my first day. Now, I know this probably isn’t what you want to read, but hear me out. It’s normal to be a little nervous on your first day. It’s a new place with new people, and a whole new concept of education that is unfamiliar to you. But, there is no need to breakdown in cry if you find yourself in a pickle in your first few weeks. If you have a question, ask another student. If they know the answer, great! If you asked another first year and they have no idea what you’re talking about, maybe you just made a new friend! Academic wise just try and stay on top of your work and you’ll be more than okay. Do your readings. Hand things in on time. Please, actually study. This isn’t high school anymore, but, I’ll be honest, it isn’t as hard as they say it is. Don’t be afraid to talk to people in your classes either, as almost everyone is in the same boat as you. Don’t be nervous, be excited! SFU is a great place to go and you’ll have an amazing four (probably five) years.

Transfer Students:

Ah, transfer students. I feel for you. Last year, when I transferred to SFU from uOttawa, I knew a total of one person. Now, I love my school and I have an amazing group of friends that I feel I really fit in with. I found my place here at SFU and I know you can to. The biggest advice I can give you, is to put yourself out there. If it’s outside of your comfort zone, do it. I cannot stress enough how important it is to get involved, especially at a school like SFU. Join a club, or a sorority, or a team! Sign up for anything you can, even if you’re not sure if you can do it. You’ll meet new people and you’ll find out a lot more about yourself. Had I not taken initiative to reach out to the head of a student club here on campus, I never would have met the people I call my SFU family today. There are plenty of SFU clubs on campus and there is always something going on. You just have to look and be open to trying new things! Believe me, it’ll be worth it.

International students:

Similar to the advice I gave above, try and get involved with as many things as you can. Put yourself out there and don’t be afraid of new experiences. You might only be at SFU for a little while and you want to make sure you have no regrets when you head back home. If you’re a little reluctant to talk to people because you can’t speak English very well, SFU offers a great program where they pair you up with a student who speaks the language you want to learn, who wants to learn your native language. It’s a win-win for both of you and it gives you an opportunity to meet someone new. SFU’s Centre for English Language Learning, Teaching and Research is also a great resource for people that want to improve their English language skills. http://www.sfu.ca/celltr

Returning students:

You’re probably wondering why you’re even included in this article in the first place. Odds are, you’re already pretty familiar with SFU. You know the best places to eat, where your classes are, you have your group of friends, and you’re feeling pretty comfortable. That’s what I have a problem with. Falling too much into being comfortable restricts you from bettering yourself. You are missing out on so many opportunities to further your growth both personally and educationally by being content with where you are. So, my advice to you is to do the thing you’ve always wanted to do, even if you’re not sure if you will succeed. You will never grow without making yourself a little uncomfortable, so embrace it! Be like a new student. Put yourself out there and discover new things, because you never know what is out there waiting for you.

Sarah is a third year student at SFU with a major in Communication and a minor in pumpkin spice lattes. She loves her Boston terrier, Harley, and is looking forward to adopting many more rescue puppies throughout her lifetime. She is your basic white girl and loves caffeine, blanket scarves and watching Grey's Anatomy. BC born and raised and with a special place in her heart for Ottawa, Sarah hopes to one day explore Canada and take in all the beautiful sights the country has to offer.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.