How to Survive Boxing Day Shopping This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Boxing Day is approaching, and you know what that means – insane deals, and even more insane crowds at the mall. Venturing into the mall on one of the most crowded days of the year may sound like a nightmare to you, but as overwhelming as boxing day may seem, I am here to give you my tips to make sure you can get the most out of boxing day this year.

Be Early

If you want to beat the crowds for boxing day, it is essential to get to the mall early. A lot of malls and stores will have extended hours on boxing day, so make sure you check before you plan on going. Waking up early for boxing day shopping is definitely worth being able to get a parking spot before the parking lot chaos begins and getting to be the first to pick over the great deals.

Organize and Prioritize

I would highly suggest making a list or even a mental list of the stores that you definitely want to check out before you leave. This will give you an idea of where you have to go and allows you to better plan out your experience, so you’re not caught up in going to every single store. Especially if the mall is super crowded, it is a good idea to go to your essential stores first, so you don’t miss out!

Don’t Be Fooled by Bad Deals

Coming from a girl who loves shopping, I know it can be hard to resist sometimes, but try your best not to get caught up in the boxing day hype and add a bunch of random stuff you don’t need to your cart. If you’re someone who is easily influenced by impulse buys, it may be a good idea to think of everything you intend on purchasing before you get to the mall to avoid any temptation.

Dress Comfortably

If you’re regularly an intense shopper, this may be a no-brainer for you, but if not, I highly suggest dressing comfortably on boxing day. There is a lot of cardio involved in boxing day shopping, so comfortable shoes are a must. Also, one word for you: LAYERS! Going from the freezing outdoors to the warm shopping centre, it is a great idea to wear layers, so you can be comfortable no matter the temperature.

…And If the Thought of Boxing Day Shopping Sounds a Little Overwhelming to You, Online Shopping is the Way to Go!

Why not avoid the stress all together, stay in your PJ’s, and shop from the comfort of your own home? A lot of online stores have great deals for boxing day as well, so scratch every tip I gave you above, get cozy, and enjoy your boxing day at home!

Hello there! My name is Genevieve Gignac. I am currently a 2nd year Communications student at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia. My favourite articles to write are about fashion, beauty, pop culture, and current events. Originally, I grew up in Toronto, Ontario, but I moved with my family to Vancouver when I was 11 years old. My hobbies include keeping active by hiking or doing pilates at the gym, hanging out with my family and friends, and binging my favourite shows on Netflix. After university, I aspire to use my Communication degree to work in PR, events co-ordinating, and social media. You can keep up with my articles here, or follow me on Instagram: @genevieve_gignac
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa