How To Make A Career From An Arts Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Post-secondary arts education comes in many wonderful forms and produces some of the world’s greatest leaders, creators, educators and philanthropist (etc). Although the amazing success of those in the field, there are many young students pursuing an arts degree that might feel doubt. This doubt is perhaps premeditated from their loved ones, peers or online forms, about pursuing their particular interest and how it can be translated into a career. While there is an ample amount of students in the arts field, there are career opportunities waiting for you.

Disclaimer: I’m not an academic advisor, just a fellow arts student trying to figure out their career path.

Your Unique Skill Set

Employers are looking for skills of employers are aren’t related to computer proficiency and technical knowledge. Critical thinking/problem-solving, work ethic, teamwork and strong oral and written communication skills are core transferable skills that arts students gain throughout their academic career. While I was browsing work/study jobs, these skills were almost always under the requirements of the job description. And lucky for us, these skills come with our degrees! These skills are also obtain with non-arts degrees. But, they are more emphasized within our disciplines. Therefore, recognize the skills you’ve obtain without consciously realizing it and use it to your advantage for the job market!

You’re Going To Have To Distinguish Yourself From Your Peers

It’s a pretty well known fact the arts is a pretty popular field; it’s objectively more popular than sciences and maths. Due to the prevalence of some popular arts disciplines, we’re going to have to stand out from our peers in non-academic ways if we want to succeed in the job market. For example, as an psychology major, why would an employee hire you rather than another psychology student? You both have the same academic credentials, so why should they hire you? You’re going to have some credentials to set yourself apart from your peers. Because in the 21st century, experience and networking helps you lands you a job, not just a university degree.

Therefore, you’re going to have to…

Use Your Resources!

As a post-secondary student, you have an immense number of resources waiting for you to use. Some of the best and the most easily accessible resources for you to take advantage of is volunteering on campus. The best volunteering experience other students and I have had weren’t directly related to our majors. Your volunteering allows you to gain diverse experience and skills to put on your resume and to create connections that are useful in your professional journey. It’s always good to take on positions that challenge the skills and experience you’re lacking because you never know what job might appeal to you in the future.

Next, I would definitely recommend looking into the universities co-op program/work study/internship program. These are going to be the building blocks of your early career and how you’re going to really stand out to future employers. Getting paid work in your field is a huge advantage and you can use any volunteer experience to get these positions! So overall, don’t be afraid to look into opportunities that intrigue you because they can be the catalyst to an amazing career!

Have An Open Mind

The field of arts is very diverse. Thought my time in post-secondary, I hear a common message from advisors and other more experienced adults that are along the lines of “where you think you’re going is not where you will end up being.” We’ll end of changing our minds on what we want to do with the rest of our lives a lot. So, don’t sweat it! It’s a part of the process to constantly grow and adapt to your new surroundings and stimulus. Be flexible and embrace your new interest and pursue them!

When I took one of my first criminology class, I thought for sure that I wanted to be a lawyer because I found the class so interesting. Then in my second year, I took a research methods course then thought that I would much rather do research and study crime patterns. Now, I’m pretty interested in writing. If I was super stubborn and set on wanting to be a lawyer, I would never of discovered these new interests of mine!

The Mental Component

On a personal level, going into the arts always left me with a feeling of doubt. This was mostly the result of others telling me that I’ll never get a job or be successful in the arts. These judgements stuck with me and I believed that I’ll never be successful with an arts degree for a very long time. But that’s simply not true, we all have the tools and resources to be successful with an arts degree. It wasn’t until later in my academic career that I quieted that voice that doubted me. The truth is: clichés.

Yep, like this one, “life is what you make it.” Super corny, but: a great job won’t fall at your feet just because you’ve met the minimum credit requirements, you have to earn it and be open to new challenges. Remember that your arts major, in and of itself, does not determine your career path. No major does — not business, not psychology, not biology. There’s no single subject that equals career success. It’s about the effort you put into your determination for your successful career path. Good Luck!

Danika is a undergraduate at Simon Fraser University. She's aquiring a BA in criminology and a minor in french. 
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.