How to Lead a Positive Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

When things do not go the way that I had planned, my initial reaction is to always think about it in a negative manner. Staying positive in these types of situations is a difficult task to execute. To attain a more optimistic approach to these situations that we are faced with, it is vital that we shift our attitude which can make a night or day difference in our lives. I believe that it is difficult to be a positive person as it takes so much more effort to be consciously aware of your mind and be optimistic when things are falling apart. It is very easy to point out all the things that are wrong and see things in a negative light because there are always so much more evident to us.

Our attitude is a crucial aspect that can change our whole perspective. By adopting a positive attitude, we can alleviate the stress that comes with the downsides of life. We should broaden our perspective on how we perceive things, we can either point out all the things that are wrong or we can focus and try to find good things that came out of this situation. Sometimes we are faced with certain situations that are not ideal, but we have the means to look at them in an optimistic way to make the best of every situation…. which is not an easy task. I have been actively trying to be more aware of my thoughts and attitude and try to make a conscious effort to train my brain to look at the bright side.

I have been told that writing down three things each day that made you happy can begin to change your mentality as it makes you focus on the positive and shows your gratitude. It can be as little as what you ate, or a television show you watched. By appreciating the small stuff, it can help us focus on the things that we do not realize have happened. By reflecting on your day, it can be a great way to make us aware of the little things in life that bring us happiness.

It is very easy to emphasize on the negative because they carry more weight on our attitude. When things are going well in our lives, we do not question why, we just embrace it. But when things do not go well, we tend to question everything. It takes a greater mental ability to stay positive so by writing things down that we are grateful for or made us happy today can help us focus on the good things.

Our minds are so powerful; by setting out intentions each day to focus on the positive can help train our minds and allow us to make the conscious effort to strive for a good day. By actively choosing to focus on the things we want in our lives such as telling yourself: “Today I am going to have a good day, I am going to do this and this.”  The law of attraction is a great belief that says that by focusing on positive will bring us positive experiences and focusing on the negative will bring us negative experiences. You attract what you feel, you attract the things that are on your mind and by shifting our focus on the things that we want in our lives we can invite those things by simply changing our mentality.

The energy that we exude can also have a profound impact. Have you ever been in a situation where you are around someone who is constantly complaining and being negative which in turn, brings your mood down as well? It is very draining to have a dark cloud shadowing on us and the people who we surround ourselves with can affect us tremendously. Energies are infectious and we should want to be around people who make us thrive, that are optimistic and make us want to be better.

“You cannot tailor-make the situations in life but you can tailor-make the attitudes to fit those situations.” – Zig Ziglar

It all comes down to training our brains and making a conscious effort to look at things in a positive light. Sometimes life throws curveballs at us, and it is up to us on how we choose to handle them.

Alisha is a third-year student at Simon Fraser University where she is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender Studies. She watches way too much T.V and loves country music.