The Holidays As a Kid vs. As an Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The countdown

As a kid: It’s the most beautiful time of the year! Once the calendar turned December 1st, the next 25 days became a time of anticipation and excitement. School was full of holiday decorations, crafts, and other festive activities. At home, you finally opened the long-awaited chocolate advent calendar. The rebellious ones may have snuck an extra piece (or two.. or three) when your parents were not looking.

As an adult: It’s the busiest time of the semester! The beginning of December marks the end of the fall term. School is packed with stressed out students occupying all of the study spaces. You’d rather dive into a heap of snow than a pile of final projects, papers, and exams. Advent calendar? More like Google Calendar of deadlines and meetings. Instead of eating one square of chocolate per day, you may have been consuming it as fuel for your hectic schedule.

The weather

As a kid: You wished for a winter wonderland. Snow made a place look magical—the way it blanketed everything and gave a soft glow to the streets. At the first snowfall, you excitedly laced up your winter boots and rushed out of the house. You gathered your friends to slide down hills and challenged everyone to a massive snowball fight! You also built snowmen, snow angels, forts, and anything else your imagination dreamed of.

As an adult: To be honest, I don’t mind a bit of snow. However, many of my peers cringe when the forecast suggests the slightest chance of it. Snow in Vancouver meant poor drivers, delayed transit systems, and a lot of slipping and sliding when walking in the streets. If the weather gets you down, try an activity like ice skating or skiing at of the local mountains. You can also channel your inner kid by building a snowman or two. Otherwise, there’s no shame in staying indoors and watching the snow from your window.

The wish list

As a kid: Dear Santa, you pick up a box of crayons and write. I want a train set, a doll, a rocket ship, and a very cute puppy. Also, can you wrap that with a big red bow and snowman stickers? I’ll give you cookies and milk! The possibilities were endless when you were a naïve, starry-eyed kid. As long as you were nice, Santa could provide everything you wanted.

As an adult: Hey Santa, you think to yourself. I’d like a good night’s sleep, quality time with my family/friends, and a dose of motivation for the upcoming year. Also, can I apply express shipping to that order? I’ll buy you a drink and some appetizers! Growing up, we realize that the things we truly want cannot be bought in store. There are still material gifts we wouldn’t mind receiving but above all, we want to be happy and healthy.

Except you still want a puppy. Santa, if you’re reading this, please send us puppies.

The presents

As a kid: Socks? Clothes? CASH? Boring! You excitedly ripped the wrapper open, only to find out that it was one of these gifts. You faked an eager smile and thanked whoever gave it to you. If they weren’t toys, they weren’t that exciting. Form over function, right? Also, the presents you gave were handmade from school or funded by mom/dad. Either way, they had no detriment to your pockets. The adults still found it endearing because it was the thought that counted.

As an adult: Socks? Clothes? CASH? Yes! You love practical gifts even if they weren’t the flashiest. You don’t complain because you’ll use them, and because you’re delighted with receiving something for free. On the giving end, you realize that you’re now expected to buy presents. With crowded stores and busy schedules, holiday shopping can be a chore.   

The meaning

As a kid: The holidays were a time for fun and festivities. It meant Santa Claus, pretty lights, and everything adorned in red and green. At school, you sang carols, wrote cards for everyone, and indulged in food during those class potlucks. At home, you watched movies, built gingerbread houses, and indulged in even tastier food during family dinners.

As an adult: Growing up, you realize that this season has a different meaning for everyone. You learn how people of other cultures, lifestyles, and class spend the holidays differently. For many of us, the holidays remain as a merry and festive time. For some people, the holidays are a solemn time to get in touch with one’s spiritual self. For others, the ‘holidays’ are just an ordinary time of the year. No matter the situation, I’m sure there are things we all wish for: to be with loved ones and to feel content with how we’ve grown this year.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa