The Girl You Need to Meet: Juvina Silvestre, Platform Case Competition Chair and Food Instagrammer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Hello, collegiates! We’ve had the chance to interview yet another outstanding student at Simon Fraser University, and for this week, we’ve had the pleasure of getting to know Juvina Silvestre, the Chair of Platform Case Competition, as well as the current Faculty of Communication, Art, and Technology (FCAT) Communication and Events Assistant for the Dean’s Office! As the coordinator of the FCAT Undergraduate Conference this year, we’ve got the inside scoop on what to expect! 

Continue reading to find out what makes Juvina Silvestre the ambitious, enthusiastic, and food enthusiast we know and love! 

The Basics:

Name: Juvina Angelica Silvestre

Age: Forever 21

Hometown: Originally from Macau, China.

Program of Study: Communication Major and Business Minor

Year: Technically at the end of my 3rd year

Social Media: Instagram: @eatbeforeyoulive Twitter: @juvinaas

What advice would you give to undergraduate students wanting to be in leadership positions?

I started to compare myself with the people around me and deemed myself as inadequate when I was in my first and second year of university.  Although I still get disappointed in myself every once in awhile, I realize that I have grown A LOT in the past year since  I joined the Platform team.  Not only did I earn my co-op position at FCAT; I learned more about myself – my weaknesses, my strengths, my awkwardness, and even my unreasonable fear of talking to strangers (especially in networking events).  Undoubtedly, it is a continuing challenge to learn how to communicate and lead people in a team, but I never regret saying “yes” to this opportunity.  Sometimes, I need to remind myself that being a leader doesn’t mean that I must be better than other people in my group.  I don’t need to be ashamed when I make mistakes or struggle to express my ideas.  My team members accept me for who I am, and I am so, so grateful to have them in this organizing committee with me!  

Why did you first get involved with Platform, and what is it?

When I first got involved with Platform in September 2015, I was in a phase where I realized I wasn’t active enough in school clubs or groups.  I wanted to feel like I belonged to a certain group, and wanted to contribute to a project that I could be proud of. I was looking for an opportunity related to marketing and soon saw the recruitment post for the Organizing Committee of Platform Social Media Case Competition.  I had no idea what a case competition was so I googled like any millennial would – and it turned out to be a student competition where individuals competed in groups and presented a marketing strategy for a company.  I didn’t hesitate and applied.  I was recruited as the Operations Manager and had a wonderful experience organizing the pre-competition workshops and handling the logistics and bookings for the competition.  What’s even more exciting is that the position led to a greater opportunity.  I became the Chair of the following Platform Case Competition happening in March 2017!  FYI, if you want to know more about the competition, you can register to compete as a team or individual from now till January 23, 2017.  We’re offering early bird tickets until November 30th.

Link: http://smnplatform.com/tickets/

What can you tell us about the FCAT Undergraduate Conference?

I am currently doing an 8-month work term at the SFU Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT).  At FCAT, I’m the content producer for their social media channels and blog, and main coordinator of their annual undergraduate conference.  The FCAT Undergraduate Conference (FCAT UGC) is a large event where students, staff, and industry members come together to share knowledge and connect.  Students have the opportunity to present performances, papers, installations, and displays that reflect the academic work they are excited about. The wide range of works being produced in the FCAT faculty are brought together to stimulate ideas connected to the theme of the year.  For example, the theme for the next conference happening on February 24th 2016 is “Space”.  Applications to present at the conference are completed online, and are open until the end of November 28th, 2016.  If you want to find out more information about the application process, jump to: https://www.sfu.ca/fcat/ugc.html  

Who is an inspiration or role model to you?

Never seriously thought about this, but two people came to mind immediately – my grandma and my mom.  They are both strong, independent, and loving women who are capable of (almost) everything!  They are the first people I go to for life/adulting advice.  I am not who I am today without their strictness and love. :)

What school subject or class influenced you the most in your years at university?

When I started my degree in Communication, my goal was to become a radio host/broadcaster.   Currently, my passion has changed to video production, community engagement, and social media marketing.  One of the courses that got me interested in video production was CMNS 220 – Understanding Television.  I took the course with Jody Baker during my first semester in second year and absolutely fell in love with the material, which was fun and engaging. In the course, I learned how to observe and point out cultural cues/signs/signifiers/meanings in video production media, such as advertisements, reality television shows, music videos, political comedy shows, etc. I was intrigued by how visual elements were put together in a very structured way in video media to communicate certain message to viewers, and how successful ones can contribute to the collective knowledge of a certain culture.   

When you need to relax from your busy schedule, what are your favorite things to do?

I’m a big fan of Japanese manga and anime! Whenever I’m done with work, on transit, or relaxing before going to sleep, I open my manga app and search for new chapters or series to read.  I also watch YouTube a LOT (literally more than 4 hours of my day).  I follow many YouTubers.  Most of them are food bloggers or chefs, and the rest are comedians or independent media companies like JustkiddingFilms, WongFu Productions, and David So Comedy.  

What do you wish for in your future?

I wish to be healthy, to work for a company that I truly love, and to have a family with two children and a dog. 

Just for Fun Section:  

Favorite Fictional Character: Sakura from the manga/anime Cardcaptor Sakura! I wanna BE her.

Favourite American Celebrity: J. Law! Love her personality and am so impressed by her acting

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Green Tea

Favorite Restaurant in Vancouver: Ajisai Sushi at Kerrisdale (best sushi in town by far, at least to me)

Favorite Meal to Cook: Medium rare steak seared and then baked in garlic infused oil.  With a side of mashed potatoes. Yum!

Favorite Song: I have so many, but I choose Close to You  by The Carpenters.

That’s all for our profile this week, folks! Thank you so much for tuning in, and be sure to look out for Juvina on campus and share food with her! We can bet she’ll be your next best friend and mentor.

Elvira Chan is a third year Communication and Print & Digital Publishing student at Simon Fraser University. Passionate about telling stories that have an impact, she is an advocate for creating change through words and conversations. A blog writer, storyteller, student, and explorer, Elvira has worked, written, and volunteered for several organizations revolving around media, education, and tourism. She hopes to pursue a career in the publishing industry as well as the healthcare industry.