Five Fashion Struggles Short Girls Can Understand: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Changing seasons call for changing wardrobes. Long pants, baggy sweaters, and big scarves are trendy ways to beat the autumn chill. Fashionable they may be, they create problems for our friends under 5’4”. During a season that loves everything oversized, here are some challenges of being petite:

1. Cuffed everything

Sweaters and pants are long. Your arms and legs are not. Sleeves cover your hands and jeans extend past your ankles. As a result, you end up folding or rolling those extra pieces of fabric. While others cuff their clothes for the aesthetic, you do it out of necessity.

On the bright side, cuffed sleeves and jeans are in style and could spice up your outfit! Don’t hesitate to fold up your sleeves and accessorize with a watch or bracelet. Finish the look by wearing your rolled jeans with a pair of ankle boots.

2. Cropped jeans? No such thing!

Not a fan of the cuffing trend? This ‘struggle’ may be a blessing in disguise. When you’re petite, trimmed clothes are just a normal fit. This means you can wear cropped jeans as regular pants. No one can tell! Alternatively, you can get your jeans altered or save money by learning how do it yourself. You can also check out stores that offer petite sizes. 

3. Oversized sweaters are too oversized

Pros: Cute and comfortable, oversized sweaters have become an autumn staple. Soft fabrics and loose fits feel like a warm hug, especially on those cold autumn days.

Cons: Your top becomes a tunic. Your small frame drowns in a sea of fabric. You end up looking smaller than you actually are. Solutions? Balance out the bagginess with tight pants, such as leggings or skinny jeans. You can also try on cropped sweaters; they might fit just like a regular sweater! But if you insist on that oversized look and feel, wear it with confidence and embrace the warmth.

4. Trying not to trip over blanket scarves

Picture this: You’re running from the AQ to your next class in West Mall. In a rush to avoid being fashionably late, your blanket scarf swishes in front of you, threatening to get caught in your step. As you put one short leg in front of the other, they get tangled with the long curtains of fabric. Suddenly, you feel the heart-pounding experience of nearly falling down the stairs.

The blanket scarf may protect you from the cold, but not from falls and injuries. Remember to watch your step!

5. Knee-high socks become thigh-high socks

Socks may account for the size of your feet, but not the length of your legs. To achieve that knee-high look, you can simply fold down the tops of your socks. Another way is to pull down your socks until they reach your knees, letting them bunch up at the ankle. Hide them under boots and no one will know!

Thigh high socks are also fashionable so perhaps the above are not required. You can wear them with tights and/or a sweater dress for a classic fall outfit. Don’t feel like dressing up? They are also perfect for lounging in bed during lazy days.

Autumn fashion may remind us that it’s not easy being vertically-challenged. During your next #OOTD or shopping dilemma, remember the perks and opportunities behind these struggles. Stay cozy, ladies!

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa