The Coffee Spot to Suit Your Needs at SFU’s Burnaby Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

On campus and needing the perfect coffee spot? Of course Simon Fraser University’s Burnaby campus is not short on places to get your daily (or hourly) fix of coffee, but finding the perfect place can be a bit trickier. Luckily, my niche in this world is within a coffee shop. Any coffee shop. Every coffee shop. Within my daily searches for a coffee spot, I have picked up some Timbits of information.

The Best Spot for a Late Night Study Session:

Starbucks

BECAUSE these two coffee shop locations stay open until 10 pm. I know what you are thinking: that is not late enough to qualify for “late night”… Unfortunately, most coffee shops on campus close fairly early.

BUT it should be noted that when Starbucks closes, you must leave the premises. Other coffee shops on campus simply close their register counters so that you can grab a coffee right before closing time and still use the tables and chairs into the late hours of the night.

The Best Spot to Meet with a Study Group:

Tim Hortons

BECAUSE you can pretty much organize the tables and chairs into whatever arrangement you would like. I dare you to get creative… as long as you save me a seat. Most coffee places on campus offer typical coffee shop seating: little tables with rickety chairs or contrastingly big, comfy lounge chairs with limited table space for doing homework. Tim Hortons has large circular tables with very durable and practical chairs. These pieces of furniture spend their day being reorganized by students in groups.

BUT you must be prepared for some background chatter. At peak hours, the Tim Hortons seems like the busiest place on campus and finding a seat can be nearly impossible. Arrive early if you plan to camp out.

Best Spot When You Are in A Hurry:

Renaissance Café

BECAUSE this coffee shop is in a central location of the Academic Quadrangle. Chances are if you are in a rush, then you are late for class and if you are heading to class, then you are probably going to the AQ anyway. Also, this coffee shop pumps out the caffeine quickly.

BUT you may get caught in an intersection of people if you happen to need coffee right as a class is getting out or as a bus is coming in. Without that coffee, fighting through the crowd feels a lot more difficult. If the line at Renaissance Café seems slightly too long at that very moment, an alternate coffee spot would be Mackenzie Café. This coffee would be self-serve, which, depending on your level of clumsiness, can be less time efficient, but the cashier line tends to move quick enough to make the risk of spilling coffee on your hand worth it.

Best Spot for A Coffee Date:

Higher Grounds Coffee Shop

BECAUSE when it comes to choosing a good dating spot, it is all about location. Higher Grounds is located right next to Highland Pub so if the coffee date turns into a success, then you can grab a pint at the bar. If the coffee date is a bust, then you can easily take your coffee to go and claim to have a class to run to. The seating at this coffee shop is limited, but comfortable and perfect for lounging while in conversation.

BUT the centrality of this location means that it is busy. Running into friends while on a coffee date breaks up the momentum of the conversation and results in you receiving prying texts from your friends inquiring into your current relationship status.

Taylor is a fourth year undergraduate student at Simon Fraser University. She is acquiring her BA, with a major in World Literature and an extended minor in Visual Arts, while currently residing in Surrey, British Columbia.
Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.