The Best Study Spots at The SFU Burnaby Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

With midterms ending (or still going on… good luck!), the time finally arrives where you are able to take a breather and reward yourself for the next set of exams to roll around… FINALS.

Sometimes it is hard to stay focused and motivated during the exam season and finding the perfect study spot can be the key to being productive.

I am here to present a few of mine and my fellow SFU students’ favourite study spots and where we tend to go to get the most work done!

Exam season can be mentally exhausting and draining. It is important to make sure you are taking care of yourself and keeping yourself healthy. Listen to your favourite music or order your favourite drink to start your study session off on a good note. Make sure you are staying hydrated and getting enough sleep.

Here are a few study spots to check out when you are on campus:

1. The 8000th level of the Kinesiology wing cubicles.

• A pretty quiet area that is not too isolated but makes you feel like you are alone and have a space to focus

• The cubicles have enough room for you to take out your notes and begin your study session

1. The tables in the West Mall Tim Hortons right after the lunch rush.

• The noise level is at about a 6.5/10

• There are enough tables to push together and have a group study session while eating your favourite meal from Tims and drinking an Iced Capp

1. The couches outside Renaissance Café.

• Comfortable and a great spot to quickly meet up and sit with a friend to study the last minute material while drinking your daily dose of caffeine or eating one of their breakfast bagels!

1. The 6th, 5th, and 2nd Floor of the Bennett Library.

• A variety of levels that can give you the ultimate quiet time

• Need a reading done? Go here (5th or 6th)

• Need to take a quick nap? Go here (6th)

• The 6th floor especially is one that has received the most positive feedback as the perfect study spot

• The 2nd floor is more social and a good place to go for group studying

• In the library you can also book rooms to work on group projects in!

• The library has so many different areas to go to that it will have a place for you in your time of need (like when it is opened for 24 hours during exam season!)

1. On nice days (ideally not the fall semester… or the beginning of spring): The benches outside the AQ pond.

• Bundle up and enjoy the sunset as you read

• Enjoy the outside air and take a minute to clear your mind

1. The lounge/red couches in the Kinesiology/Communication wing.

• Where I am writing this article right now!

• Very comfy couches, wide enough for you and your friends (or all your study materials)

• Fairly quiet, but fills up fast!

The SFU Burnaby Campus has a quite a few places to study. I hope this narrowed down list helps you this exam season or provided you with new places to hang out! Good luck to everyone who is writing exams! Remember to take breaks and find a balance that will support you through your studying.

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a 19 year old Communication student at Simon Fraser University. I enjoy writing about what is going on in popular culture, beauty, and life in general. Aside from writing, I love baking, caramel macchiatos, music, and spending time with my loved ones. Growing up, I have always been interested in volunteering and finding ways to help make a difference in people's lives. I believe everyone has that one person that has impacted their life and I hope to be that person for someone. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do in the future, so come along and join my journey of navigating life! You can also reach me on Instagram (@emcookxox), Twitter (@emcookxo), and my personal blog here: https://emcookxo.wordpress.com/.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa