Ali Russell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Some of you may know the name Ali Russell, while others may not. To the latter, I dedicate this Q&A to you, because I am convinced that everyone needs a little Ali in their life. Last semester I had the pleasure of meeting Ali, and I’m certain that it was love at first sight. If she tells you otherwise, don’t believe her. She’s just confused. 

You know those people who instantly make you feel inferior? You know the ones: they are just so effortlessly cool, charismatic, friendly, and painstakingly likeable that they make you question why you don’t try harder at life. Well, that’s Ali. I’m boosting her ego too much now, aren’t I? Okay, let me take her down a peg and identify a couple of her flaws. Ali cares too much, is too ambitious and social, is remarkably spontaneous, and likes Superman. 

Just kidding! How could liking Superman ever be considered a flaw?

So, without further ado, I give you Ali Russell, a fourth-year SFU Communications major and Sociology minor who also happens to be a sports fanatic and self-proclaimed adventurer. And if she hasn’t already pulled you over to talk about the latest buzz on the Internet or last night’s sports highlights, you can usually find her cuddled up, coffee mug in hand, laughing hysterically over Jimmy Fallon clips and Saturday Night Live re-runs. 

Naturally, I kicked off the Q&A by asking what Ali’s future plans were. 

“I hope to someday work in a role that will allow me to develop my love for digital and social media, traveling, and events, while helping others. Although the plan is still [to pursue] my dream of becoming Internet famous, so I can pay off my tuition fees.” 

Now, what is your dream job?

“Talk show host! No question. Think about it, they have the best job! They get to spend their time telling jokes about current events, while getting to know people on a personal level and listening to live music. Hence, dream job!”

Hobbies?

“Eating any form of Mexican food (always with extra guac, obviously). Oh! And is Netflix a hobby? ‘Cause yes, Netflix.”

What is something you’re proud of?

“I can perform the entire Evolution of Dance (YouTube it, it’s the guy with the Orange Crush t-shirt), AND I can I can rap Busta Rhymes’ part to “Look at Me Now” (it doesn’t actually sound like words, but I definitely know them all, TRUST ME OKAY.) And arguably, my biggest accomplishment transpired in 2001, when I was just a wee one. I won a corn-shucking competition at my town’s fall fair and was dubbed “the corn shucking queen.”

You are incredibly involved in campus life at SFU. How has your involvement enriched your university experience?

“In my four years at SFU I have been a part of the RHA board, SFU Co-op program, SFU Intramural Volleyball team, the SFU Communications Student Union, SFU Children of Rwanda Club, and the SFU Ski and Snowboard Club. It has enriched my university experience in so many ways. Not only has it challenged me to be engaged and develop relationships [with other SFU students], but, most importantly, it has supplied me with copious amounts of free pizza.” 

Now, for a more serious question, that will undoubtedly determine our fate as friends. Who would win in a fight between Superman and Batman?

“I think physically Superman would win, but I also think that Batman has a darker side to him… so that gives him an edge. Think about it! Superman would feel too bad, and would want to be the better person and rise above violence.”

Correct. Is this girl not great, or what? (By the way, if you answered Batman, I HATE YOU).

So, you’re stuck at a red light. What do you do? Go!

“Easy. I look at the driver next to me and try to get them to sing along to the music that I have blaring in my car.” 

What question do you hate to answer? Now, answer it.

“When people ask, what do you want Ali? *Insert scene from The Notebook* IT’S NOT THAT SIMPLE!”

How many bottles of wine have you finished without actually pouring any of the wine into a glass?

“LOL.”

How many friendships have you ruined because you refused to play a game of Monopoly mercifully?

“There’s a reason my parents threw out the game, and those ‘people’ know EXACTLY who they are and what they owe me.”

So, that’s Ali, give or take a couple weird quirks. But even those are incredibly endearing. For instance, she can fall asleep anywhere and can sleep through just about everything. She notes how the struggle is real, but I’m not convinced. Did I mention that she once listened to “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire 102 times on repeat, and to this day it’s still her favourite song? YEP. She’s crazy and so damn cool.

Stop Ali. We get it, you’re funny and hip and lovely and are going to be successful. But in all seriousness, this girl is going places – I can feel it. So remember her name, and the fact that I once sat beside her in class. That makes me cool too, right?

Skye Mandin is a Communications major at Simon Fraser University who is working towards a minor in everything. She enjoys long walks on the beach, running in the rain, chocolate milk, and good company. She plans to one-day travel the world in order to get immersed in culture, architecture, love, and adventure.