sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 TED Talks That Will Change Your Way of Thinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

To change the way you think about happiness to be inspired to listen better and to understand what it means to be vulnerable. These five talks will make you gain a deeper perspective on certain ideas that are worth watching.

What Makes a Good Life? Lessons From the Longest Study on Happiness by Robert Waldinger

This TED talk centered around a Harvard study on adult development that spanned 75 years, tracking the lives of 724 men. One group of men, sophomores from Harvard college, and the other, a group from Boston’s poorest places. The key messages that came out from this study is that good relationships keep us happier and healthier, and understanding that social connections are key, but the quality of close relationship is what matters.

Release Date: January 2016

Where to Watch: TEDTalks

10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation by Celeste Headlee

We all have had conversations with others where we were not fully engaged or even listening to what the other person was saying. This talk gives ten tips to have a better conversation. The point that I took away from it was to be present in the moment, which is a hard skill to attain because our minds are constantly turning and we have fifty other things that are going on. There are times when we are going to be in a conversation with people who we do not agree with, but one tip that this talk suggested is that we need to enter every conversation assuming that you have something to learn. The most important message that this talk emphasized on is listening.

Release Date: May 2015

Where to Watch: TEDTalks

The Power of Introverts by Susan Cain

This is an important talk to watch for everyone as it shows the importance of being an introvert especially living in a world where extroverts are seen as the way to be in schools and in the workplace. Many people mistake someone being an introvert with being shy, which is not the case. To gain a deeper perspective that will change the way you see yourself whether you are an introvert or even an extrovert, this talk is worth watching.

Release Date: February 2012

Where to Watch: TEDTalks

Why You Will Fail to Have a Great Career by Larry Smith  

This talk emphasizes the importance of passion; it explains how passion is key and it is what one needs. Many of us let fear get in the way of pursuing what we want to do as we are afraid, which is an important point that this talk makes. As a lot of us are in a stage in our lives where we are getting ready to find our path, we have these preconceived notions of what it takes to have a great career…. and this talk will help you gain an insightful perspective on it all.

Release Date: November 2011

Where to Watch: TEDTalks

The Power of Vulnerability by Brené Brown

“Vulnerability is the core of shame, fear, and unworthiness but it is also the birthplace of joy, creativity, belonging, and love.”

There are so many people that struggle with vulnerability including Brené Brown herself where she speaks on her experience in this amazing talk.

Release Date: June 2010

Where to Watch: TEDTalks

Alisha is a third-year student at Simon Fraser University where she is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender Studies. She watches way too much T.V and loves country music.