5 Pieces of Advice for University Students Worried About Their Future

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

After speaking to a close friend of mine the other day, I realized that a larger than expected amount of university students are going through the same problem: most of us are constantly stressed about our future careers.  I know that I for one am one of those students, especially during the stressful time we all know as exam season.  Whether I be staring at my essay hoping that it would write itself or setting up my little study area at a coffee shop but not actually doing work, I’m contemplating about how my degree fits into the big perfect in terms of a career.  But it’s all right. I’m here to tell you that you are not alone, and that whatever future is in store for you, you’re on the right track.  Take a deep breath and let’s be OK together.

1. It’s okay to question your degree at times.

It’s completely normal.Many university students go through a mid-degree crisis where he or she may question whether or not the degree they’ve chosen is the right one.Everyone at some point will have these thoughts, but it’s up to you to find your inspiration again.I can’t stress this enough as daily inspiration is what keeps you on track with your goals in life.Take some time to research potential careers that your degree can build a path towards and do something about it.

2. It’s okay to feel like you lack certain professional skillsets.

There is not a single candidate out there that fits a job description perfectly.Whether you are applying for a summer internship or a part-time job on LinkedIn, never sell yourself short and just go for it.Many of these chances don’t come often and you never know whom you’re up against in these situations! Research how to write a good CV and figure out what kind of skills you could learn as an extra curriculum in order for you to stand out in your next job application. Remember to always be proactive!

3. Narrow down your interest within your degree and excel!

This means breaking down your degree – which is usually quite broad – and finding out what you’re passionate about within that degree.Is it finance? Big data? Design? If so, purchase a book about it at a bookstore or take up a class to enhance your Illustrator design knowledge.

4. Volunteering is just as important as work experience.

“Why waste your time volunteering when you can be earning money?” they said. That may be true, but what is the point in working in a part-time job that fulfills you financially (at the bare minimum), but has no positive impact on your degree and future career? Take the time now to pick where you spend your time wisely!

5. Be open-minded to everything that comes your way.

Every opportunity that you’re given when you least expect it, take it and go with the flow.In the end, every little thing that you do outside of your comfort zone will eventually show its worth.Apply for those jobs you don’t think you’ve got the chops for or even take initiative to kick start your entrepreneurship.Your life is made up of decisions that you make every single second – so don’t waste it!

Image Source

Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.