5 Free Winter Date Ideas in Vancouver

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Its that time of year, holiday season! Now while I love Christmas time, it is terrible on the wallet. You have to buy so many gifts, and when you finally get time off work, suddenly everyone wants to hang out and do things with you. On top of all the holiday spending you will be doing, dating during the holidays can also be an unnecessary financial strain on your wallet. Now lucky for most of you, I hate spending money so below is a list of free or relativity inexpensive date ideas, that will impress your date (and of course save you money).  

1. Walking in Stanley Park

One of the most romantic places in Vancouver is Stanley Park. The park is home to many attractions such as the aquarium and tons of great restaurants. However, if you don’t have the money to do all the attractions, the park is free to go to. For free you can check out the multiple beaches, the parks and the rose gardens. For a cute date idea, I highly recommend walking the seawall, especially close to sunset hour, around 4:30 to see the breathtaking views. Also if you get cold during the walk, it’s a great excuse to hold hands.

2. Skating in Robson Square

A winter classic activity in Vancouver, and its free to do! Bring your skates, bring a date and enjoy skating around. Even if you don’t really skate, it is still a fun opportunity to take advantage of this winter season. For more information on times I recommend checking out the website.

3. Driving around to see Christmas Lights

Vancouver really becomes transformed during the holiday season. One of my favourite things to do is to go for a long drive in the city and see all the Christmas displays. If driving downtown isn’t your thing, I would recommend going outside of the city and seeing Christmas light displays in Vancouver neighbourhoods. VancityBuzz recommends checking out Chalet Place in North Vancouver and Trinity Street on Hastings, link is posted below.

(http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/12/places-to-see-christmas-lights-vancouver-2015/)

4. Burnaby Village Museum & Carousel

The Burnaby Village Museum is a great place to check out, especially on a date. Gate admission is free during the winter time and you are transformed to Burnaby in the 1920’s. At the museum you can enjoy seeing the village set up, chat with the actors to learn more about the history of Burnaby and there is even a carousel you can ride for only $2.65! If you are looking for a unique date experience that is inexpensive, you should go to the Burnaby Village Museum.

5. Visit Granville Island

Granville Island is one of those hidden gem areas during the winter season. After tourist season dies down, Granville Island becomes your own little escape. There are tons of things to do such as visiting the public market, walking the harbour dock and checking out all the local art shops. You will never run out of things to do on the island and if you are in a spending mood you can check out some inexpensive shows at the Arts Club Theatre and enjoy some of the amazing food at the public market. My personal favorite is the rainbow cake from Stuarts Bakery.

Whatever your budget, these date activities are sure to be fun, different, and memorable. How many times can you do dinner and drinks before it starts to get old? Try something new this holiday season your date and your wallet will thank you!

SaveSave

Amneet is a 4th year communications student at Simon Fraser University. Born and raised in the city of Surrey, she loves the sound of rain, in fact she listens to rain sounds every night to help her sleep. Her favorite past times include: reading, binge watching Netflix shows and perfecting the art of sarcasm. You can get to know her more by following her Instagram: amku2500.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa