5 Beloved Places in Mexico That You May Want to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

This list is for all those early planners (or maybe for really late planners) that are looking for a place to go next break. The choices in this list are places that I believe that are not that popular in Canada and places where you might find yourself practicing your Spanish (So, no Riviera Maya nor Los Cabos nor Puerto Vallarta). 

1. Real del Catorce is a town located in the middle of the desert in the state of San Luis Potosí.  The town is known for two things: the first one for being considered a sacred zone for both Catholics and Huichol shamanists, and the second for its history as a mining town. The latter is quite impressive as Real del Catorce used to have one of the most productive mines in Mexico when it was still called Nueva España and under control of Spain. Eventually, the mines were closed, and the town was abandoned, becoming a ghost town. But now, after the support of the government, it is a touristic attraction, where you can explore the abandoned mines, the cemetery or merely walk through the town, which is described as a place where time has stopped.   

2. Huatulco is the place you want to go if you’re going to enjoy the beach and you are tired of the craziness of Cancun or Los Cabos.  Huatulco is located in the state of Oaxaca, which for many is the state with the best Mexican food.   It has nine bays, and they are part of the Parque Nacional Huatulco, which is a Protected Natural Area. In Huatulco, you can find from relaxing beaches to places where you can do activities such as reef diving and sports fishing.   

3. Real del Monte is located in the state of Hidalgo, and one of the things that differentiate this place from others in Mexico is its ties with England.  Real del Monte, as well as the previously mentioned Real del Catorce, has a legacy as a mining town. What makes this city fascinating is that in the 19th century, British people in business decided to invest in the mines located around Real del Monte, which had been abandoned after Mexico´s Independence. This brought British immigrants to this place and gained the nickname of little Cornwall. England’s influence in Real del Monte is mainly seen in Pastes, which is the most famous food item of the region. Pastes are essentially a pastry filled with potatoes and ground beef.  Real del Monte is perfect if you want to visit mines, try pastes and experience what cold Mexican weather is. Quick fact! You might wonder why Real del Catorce and Real del Monte have Real at the beginning of their names, well, this is because all mining zones in Mexico that belonged to the King of Spain received that denomination.

4. Valladolid is the place you want to visit if you’re going to experience the whole Mayan culture but you are on a budget, and you are not willing to sell a kidney to stay in any of those fancy resorts along Riviera Maya.  (You might be interested in knowing that Valladolid is around two hours from Cancun or Playa del Carmen, so it is not that far from Riviera Maya.) Valladolid is perfect if you want to explore an old city that has an architecture that was influenced by both Spanish and Mayan culture and you, also, want to dive into cenotes and explore some favourite archaeological sites like Chichen Itza and Tulum.  

5. Taxco is an inclined small city full of picturesque houses that are built uphill. Taxco’s silver mine was still operational until 2007, and because of this, Taxco is mostly associated with silver. Its streets are full of stalls selling objects made of this metal and people from all around Mexico go to this place to buy these products.  Taxco is the perfect location if you are visiting Mexico City, but you want to make a short stop in another touristic attraction.    

I am a 4th-year communication student at Simon Fraser University. I was born and raised in Mexico City, and I decided to study in Vancouver as a way to start exploring the world, and although I love Canada, hopefully, it is only my first stop. My favorite pastimes include: reading, writing, discovering new places to eat, and watching movies and television shows.
Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa